426th Brigade Support Battalion
426th Forward Support Battalion
426th Brigade Support Battalion is a part of the 1st Brigade Combat Team, 101st Airborne Division. The 426th BSB consists of a headquarters compnay, a supply company, a maintenance company, and a medical company. The BSB provides brigade level logistics and HSS to the 1st BCT. Forward Support Companies of the 426th are also assigned to the Brigades subordinate battalions. G Company is assigned to the 2nd Battalion, 320th Field Artillery.
The 426th Brigade Support Battalion was first constituted 23 July 1918 in the National Army as the 326th Supply Train and assigned to the 101st Division. The unit was redesignated on 23 March 1925 as the 101st Division Quartermaster Train and reorganized and redesignated on 1 July 1936 as the 426th Quartermaster Regiment, remaining assigned to the 101st Division.
On 30 January 1942 it was reorganized and redesignated as the 426th Quartermaster Battalion and remained assigned to the 101st Division. This unit was disbanded and concurrently reconstituted on 15 August 1942, consolidated with the 426th Airborne Quartermaster Company (constituted 6 August 1942 in the Army of the United States), and consolidated unit activated at Camp Claiborne, Louisiana as the 426th Airborne Quartermaster Company, an element of the 101st Airborne Division.
On 18 June 1948 it was redesignated as the 101st Airborne Division Quartermaster Company and on 1 July 1956 as the 426th Airborne Quartermaster Company. The next reorganization and redesignation came on 25 April 1957, when the unit became the 426th Supply and Transportation Company, an element of the 101st Airborne Division, which was again reorganized and redesignated 3 February 1964 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 426th Supply and Transportation Battalion, and remained assigned to the 101st Airborne Division (organic elements concurrently organized for new and existing units). This unit was inactivated 21 May 1965 at Fort Campbell, Kentucky.
It was redesignated 1 July 1968 as the 426th Supply and Services Battalion and activated in Vietnam. The reactivated unit served until 17 September 1986 when it was reorganized and redesignated as the 426th Supply and Transport Battalion. On 16 April 1994 it was reorganized and redesignated as the 426th Support Battalion, being later redesignated as the 426th Forward Support Battalion. The move to the modular force structure by the US Army saw the unit again redesignated as the 426th Brigade Support Battalion, attached to the 1st Brigade Combat Team, 101st Airborne Division, reassigned from its previous position as part of the 101st Division Support Command.
As of March, 2006 426th BSB was deployed to Forward Operating Base (FOB) Warrior in Kirkuk, Iraq.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|