40th Infantry Division Artillery (DIVARTY)
The 40th Infantry Division Artillery conducts essential pre-mobilization training, mobilizes, conducts post-mobilization training and processing, deploys, fights or supports, sustains, and wins. This applies to combat and Military Support to Civil Authorities (MSCA) and to any reciprocal operational missions directed by the 40th Division or State of California.
The Division artillery (DIVARTY) is one of the seven commands under the 40th Infantry Division (Mechanized). DIVARTY provides artillery support for the division and coordinates close air support, attack helicopters, mortars, artillery resources from headquarters higher than Division, and, when feasible, naval gunfire.
The Division Artillery has the dual mission of integrating all fire support available to the Division as well as providing it field artillery fires for close support, interdiction, and counterfire support. The primary function of fire support units is to provide continuous and timely support to combat units by locating, identifying, and neutralizing or destroying those targets most likely to impede the successful accomplishment of the division's mission.
The Lineage and Honors of DIVARTY begins August 5, 1946 when it was constituted in the California Army National Guard. It was federally recognized on October 14, 1946 at Los Angeles. DIVARTY was ordered into active federal service in Korea on September 1, 1950. It changed location to Santa Barbara on December 29, 1952, then back to Los Angeles on May 10, 1954. DIVARTY was released from active federal service June 30, 1954 and reverted to state control.
On July 1, 1954, the Army converted and redesignated it as headquarters and headquarters Battery, 40th Armored Division Artillery. On May 1, 1959 the Army consolidated it with a Medical Detachment. Federal recognition was withdrawn January 29, 1968. It was reorganized and federally recognized April 1, 1971 in the California Army National Guard as the 80th Support Center at Los Angeles. On January 13, 1974 it was converted and redesignated headquarters and headquarters Battery, 40th Infantry Division artillery.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|