4th Battalion, 9th Infantry Regiment
The 4th Battalion, 9th Infantry Regiment was first constituted on 3 March 1855 in the Regular Army as Company D, 9th Infantry, and organized on 17 March 1855 at Fort Monroe, Virginia. It was consolidated in June 1869 with Company D, 27th Infantry, with the consolidated unit designated as Company D, 9th Infantry. Company D, 27th Infantry had been first constituted on 3 May 1861 in the Regular Army as Company D, 2nd Battalion, 18th Infantry and organized in October 1861 at Camp Thomas, Ohio. The unit was redesignated on 21 September 1866 as Company D, 27th Infantry before being consolidated with Company D, 9th Infantry.
The 9th Infantry Regiment was assigned on 22 September 1917 to the 2d Division (later redesignated as the 2nd Infantry Division). It was inactivated on 20 June 1957 at Ladd Air Force Base, Alaska, and was relieved from assignment to the 2nd Infantry Division. It was concurrently redesignated as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 4th Battle Group, 9th Infantry. That unit activated on 25 January 1963 at Fort Wainwright, Alaska with its organic elements concurrently constituted and activated, and assigned on 20 May 1963 to the 171st Infantry Brigade. It was again reorganized and redesignated on 1 July 1963 as the 4th Battalion, 9th Infantry.
As the 25th Infantry Division prepared to deploy to Vietnam in 1966, it was found to be short on personnel. In January 1966, the 4th Battalion, 9th Infantry and the 4th Battalion, 23rd Infantry (Mechanized) were assigned from Alaska. The 4th Battalion, 9th Infantry was relieved on 14 January 1966 from assignment to the 171st Infantry Brigade and assigned to the 25th Infantry Division.
For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty near Phu Hoa Dong, Republic of Vietnam, on 26 February 1967, First Sergeant Maximo Yabes, US Army, Company A, 4th Battalion, 9th Infantry, 25th Infantry Division distinguished himself with Company A, which was providing security for a land clearing operation. Early in the morning the company suddenly came under intense automatic weapons and mortar fire followed by a battalion sized assault from 3 sides. Penetrating the defensive perimeter the enemy advanced on the company command post bunker. The command post received increasingly heavy fire and was in danger of being overwhelmed. When several enemy grenades landed within the command post, 1st Sergeant Yabes shouted a warning and used his body as a shield to protect others in the bunker. Although painfully wounded by numerous grenade fragments, and despite the vicious enemy fire on the bunker, he remained there to provide covering fire and enable the others in the command group to relocate. When the command group had reached a new position, 1st Sergeant Yabes moved through a withering hail of enemy fire to another bunker 50 meters away. There he secured a grenade launcher from a fallen comrade and fired point blank into the attacking Viet Cong stopping further penetration of the perimeter. Noting 2 wounded men helpless in the fire swept area, he moved them to a safer position where they could be given medical treatment. He resumed his accurate and effective fire killing several enemy soldiers and forcing others to withdraw from the vicinity of the command post. As the battle continued, he observed an enemy machinegun within the perimeter that threatened the whole position. On his own, he dashed across the exposed area, assaulted the machinegun, killed the crew, destroyed the weapon, and fell mortally wounded. 1st Sergeant Yabes' valiant and selfless actions saved the lives of many of his fellow soldiers and inspired his comrades to effectively repel the enemy assault. His indomitable fighting spirit, extraordinary courage and intrepidity at the cost of his life were in the highest military traditions and reflect great credit upon himself and the Armed Forces of his country.
For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while leading a platoon of Company B in Hau Nghia Province, Republic of Vietnam, on 15 March 1967, First Lieutenant Ruppert L. Sargent, US Army, Company B, 4th Battalion, 9th Infantry, 25th Infantry Division was investigating a reported Viet Cong meeting house and weapons cache. A tunnel entrance that 1st Lieutenant Sargent observed was booby trapped. He tried to destroy the booby trap and blow the cover from the tunnel using hand grenades, but this attempt was not successful. He and his demolition man moved in to destroy the booby trap and cover. This flushed a Viet Cong soldier from the tunnel, who was immediately killed by the nearby platoon sergeant. 1st Lieutenant Sargent, the platoon sergeant, and a forward observer moved toward the tunnel entrance. As they approached, another Viet Cong emerged and threw 2 hand grenades that landed in the midst of the group. 1st Lieutenant Sargent fired 3 shots at the enemy then turned and unhesitatingly threw himself over the 2 grenades. He was mortally wounded, and his 2 companions were lightly wounded when the grenades exploded. By his courageous and selfless act of exceptional heroism, he saved the lives of the platoon sergeant and forward observer and prevented the injury or death of several other nearby comrades. 1st Lieutenant Sargent's actions were in keeping with the highest traditions of the military services and reflect great credit upon himself and the US Army.
The Battalion was inactivated on 5 June 1972 at Schofield Barracks, Hawaii. It was relieved on 2 August 1972 from assignment to the 25th Infantry Division, it was assigned to the 172nd Infantry Brigade, and activated at Fort Wainwright, Alaska. It was inactivated on 6 January 1983 at Fort Wainwright, Alaska, and relieved from assignment to the 172nd Infantry Brigade.
The Battalion was then reassigned on 29 April 1983 to the 7th Infantry Division and activated at Fort Ord, California. It was relieved on 16 April 1987 from assignment to the 7th Infantry Division and was reassigned to the 6th Infantry Division. It was inactivated again on 15 December 1995 at Fort Wainwright, Alaska and relieved from assignment to the 6th Infantry Division.
The unit was redesignated on 1 October 2005 as the 4th Battalion, 9th Infantry Regiment and assigned on 1 June 2006 to the 4th Brigade Combat Team, 2nd Infantry Division, and activated at Fort Lewis, Washington.
In 2006, Program Executive Office Soldier and the US Army Infantry Center conducted a comprehensive assessment of Land Warrior and Mounted Warrior across the areas of Doctrine, Organization, Training, Materiel, Leadership and Education, Personnel, and Facilities (DOTMLPF). During May and June 2006, more than 400 Soldiers at Fort Lewis completed combat training on the systems in preparation for the assessment, which would continue through the summer and end with a limited user test in September. Assessment results would be used by Army leaders to determine tactics, techniques, procedures and the future direction of the Land Warrior and Mounted Warrior programs.
The 4th Battalion, 9th Infantry Regiment, part of the 4th Stryker Brigade Combat Team, 2nd Infantry Division at Fort Lewis was equipped with 440 Land Warrior Systems and 147 Mounted Warrior Systems. The Land Warrior system combined computers, lasers, navigation modules, radios, and other technologically advanced equipment to improve Soldiers' battlefield communications ability, situational awareness, and, ultimately, their ability to fight effectively and survive. The Mounted Warrior system, designed for combat vehicle crewmen, included communications and displays that would improve situational awareness on or off the vehicle.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|