4th Battalion, 319th Airborne Field Artillery Regiment
D Battery, 319th Field Artillery Regiment
"King of the Herd"
The 4th Battalion, 319th Field Artillery Regiment was reactivated on 8 June 2006, at Warner Barracks in Bamberg, Germany, as part of the 173rd Airborne Brigade Combat Team. As of June 2006, the 173rd Airborne Brigade was being reorganized as part of the US Army's modularization process. The foundation for this unit was D Battery, 3rd Battalion, 319th Field Artillery Regiment, which was redesignated and reorganized as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 4th Battalion, 319th Field Artillery Regiment. The rest of the personnel came from the inactivation of the 1st Battalion, 33rd Field Artillery, previously part of the 1st Infantry Division Artillery.
The Battalion's mission is to provide direct supporting fires to the brigade. The unit is skilled in both the art of integrating and synchronizing all available fire support assets and in the science of delivering accurate and timely fires. King of the Herd paratroopers in the 173rd Airborne Brigade Combat Team are able to accomplish both of these tasks and other assigned missions after rapidly deploying via parachute assault.
The battalion was originally constituted 5 August 1917 as the 319th Field Artillery Regiment and assigned to the 82nd Division. It was organized and activated 9 September 1917 at Camp Gordon, Georgia and arrived in France in late 1917. The 319th Field Artillery participated in 3 campaigns of WWI. The 82nd returned home and was demobilized on 18 May 1919.
The unit was reconstituted on 24 June 1921 in the Organized Reserves as Battery D, 319th Field Artillery, an element of the 82d Division (later redesignated as the 82d Airborne Division). This unit was eventually absorbed on 13 February 1942 by Battery A, 319th Field Artillery Battalion.
The Battalion was reorganized and redesignated the 319th Field Artillery Battalion in 1942 and was ordered into active federal service on 25 March 1942. On 15 August 1942, it was reorganized and redesignated as the 319th Glider Field Artillery Battalion. The 319th participated in all 6 WWII campaigns of the 82nd Airborne Division including assault landings in Normandy and Holland. The 319th was awarded 2 Presidential Unit Citations and 2 French Croix de Guerre with Palm.
Former Battery D, 319th Field Artillery, reconstituted 25 April 1957 in the Regular Army and concurrently redesignated as Battery D, 319th Artillery, assigned to the 101st Airborne Division. It was inactivated 3 April 1964 at Fort Campbell, Kentucky, and relieved from assignment to the 101st Airborne Division.
The unit was redesignated 1 September 1971 as Battery D, 319th Field Artillery and activated 16 October 1988 in Italy. This unit was assigned on 16 October 2000 to the 173rd Airborne Brigade (Seperate). This unit deployed with the 173rd Airborne Brigade both to Operation Iraq Freedom in 2003 and to Afghanistan as part of the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) in 2005.
As part of the 173rd Brigade's transformation to the US Army's new modular system the unit was first redesignated on 1 October 2005 as Battery D, 319th Field Artillery Regiment and then reorganized and redesignated on 16 September 2006 as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 4th Battalion, 319th Field Artillery Regiment, with its organic elements concurrently constituted and activated. The 1st Battalion, 33rd Field Artillery was concurrently inactivated reflagged as the 4th Battalion, 319th Field Artillery.
The unit returned to Afghanistan in 2007 again assigned to ISAF, serving there into 2008.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|