4th Battalion - 118th Infantry Regiment
4-118th Infantry Battalion was part of the 230 South Carolina National Guard soldiers mobilized to provide homeland security support at Ft. Jackson and Ft. Gordon, GA.
The 118th Infantry Regiment was originally from South Carolina, and on 16 September 1940, it was inducted into Federal Service at Charleston, SC and was assigned to the 30th Division. It then moved to Ft. Jackson, SC on 21 September 1940. The 118th was an integral part of the 30th Infantry Division and they trained with them until August 1942, when there was a major reorganization in the make-up of Divisions from a "square division to a triangular division", and thereby the 118th was detached from the 30th Infantry Division. They left Ft. Jackson and went to Camp Kilmer, NJ, and departed from the P.O.E. of New York on 5 August, shipping out to Iceland and arriving there for security duty on 19 August, and were permanently relieved from assignment to the 30th Infantry Division on 24 August 1942.
They departed Iceland on 29 October 1943, arriving in England on 6 November, and then shipped to Ireland on 6 January 1944. Then they returned to England on 1 May 1944, remaining there until they crossed the English Channel to France on 13 December 1944. They were immediately assigned to defend a bridge across the Meuse River at Givet, France during the German Ardennes counteroffensive in Belgium. They entered Germany on 26 May 1945, took up occupation duties, and returned to the New York P.O.E. on 14 January 1946 and were inactivated at Camp Kilmer, NJ, on 15 January 1946. They were credited with Campaign credits for Northern France & Rhineland.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|