3rd Military Police Battalion (Provisional)
In 2006, the 3rd Military Police Battalion (Provisional) was inactivated and its headquarters element reflagged as the Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 385th Military Police Battalion, which was subsequently activated. The 293rd and 549th Military Police Companies were reassigned to the 385th Military Police Battalion. The 179th Military Police Detachment was inactivated.
The 3rd Military Police Battalion (Provisional) provided law enforcement and emergency services support for both Fort Stewart, Georgia and the attached Hunter Army Airfield. Additionally, the 3rd Military Police Battalion (Provisional) assisted, evaluated, sustained and trained military police companies and the Division Provost Marshal Cell for deployments, on order, either by air, sea or rail to contingency areas in order to support the XVIII Corps (Airborne), 3rd Infantry Division, and US Army Forces Command (FORSCOM) missions.
The 3rd Military Police Battalion (Provisional) was initially under the administrative control of the 3rd Infantry Division (Mechanized). With the transformation of the 3rd Infantry Division to the US Army's modular force structure, beginning in, it was placed under the administrative control of the 3rd Sustainment Brigade. The unit was technically subordinate to the 16th Military Police Brigade (Airborne), XVIII Corps (Airborne) at Fort Bragg, North Carolina.
3rd Military Police Company
The 3rd Military Police Company was first constituted on 12 November 1917 in the Regular Army as the 3rd Train Headquarters and Military Police, 3rd Division. It was organized on 8 January 1918 at Chickamauga Park, Georgia. The unit arrived in France in early April 1918 and participated in the following campaigns: Champagne, Aisne, Champagne-Marne, St. Mihiel, Meuse-Argonne, and Aisne-Marne. Members of the 3rd Military Police Company performed admirably during the Marne offensive, even fighting as infantry to hold the lines. When World War I ended in November 1918, the company performed policing duties during the occupation of Germany until its return to the United States in August 1919.
This unit was consolidated on 14 May 1921 with Headquarters Troop, 3rd Division and redesignated as Headquarters and Military Police Company, 3rd Division. It was reorganized and redesignated on 1 June 1942 as the Military Police Platoon, 3rd Division, and Headquarters Company, 3rd Division (thereafter having a separate lineage).
The 3rd Military Police Platoon had an active role during World War II in the following campaigns: Tunisia, Sicily, Naples-Foggia, Anzio, Rome-Arno, Southern France, the Rhineland, Ardennes-Alsace, and Central Europe. During the Anzio beachhead operation, 3rd Military Police Platoon soldiers quickly moved inland and established control posts that greatly assisted the movement of traffic from the beaches. As these posts were moved inland along road junctions and bridges, they were constantly harassed by enemy fire. Despite the danger, the military police manning these posts observed and reported enemy activity, collected prisoners of war, apprehended stragglers, and maintained circulation control.
It was reorganized and redesignated again on 23 March 1946 as the 3rd Military Police Company. In 1950, the 3d Military Police Company participated in the Korean conflict in the following campaigns: Chinese Communist Forces (CCF) Intervention, First United Nations (UN) Counteroffensive, CCF Spring Offensive, UN Summer-Fall Offensive, Second Korean Winter, Korean Summer-Fall 1952, Third Korean Winter, and Korean Summer 1953. The company earned an Army Meritorious Unit Commendation, the Republic of Korea Presidential Unit Citation for the Uijongbu Corridor, the Republic of Korea Presidential Unit Citation for the Iron Triangle, and the Chryssoun Aristion Andrias (Bravery Gold Medal of Greece). The unit was inactivated on 1 July 1957 at Fort Benning, Georgia, and relieved from assignment to the 3rd Infantry Division.
It was assigned on 18 April 1963 to the 3rd Infantry Division and activated on 22 July 1963 in Germany
the 3rd Military Police Company served in Operation Iraqi Freedom, providing combat support to the 3rd Infantry Division. The unit also trained Iraqi police with courses that focused on the basics of day-to-day police work. The task was tailormade for the soldiers of the 3rd Military Police Company, since they provided daily law enforcement support for the Fort Stewart and Hunter Army Airfield communities.
In late 2004, the 3rd Military Police Company was inactivated as part of the shift of the entire 3rd Infantry Division to the US Army's new modular force structure. Its elements were reflagged as the military police platoons of the newly activated Division and Brigade Special Troops Battalions.
293rd Military Police Company
The 293rd Military Police Company is a Corps Military Police Company responsible for Corps tactical operations, as well as Garrison Law Enforcement duties for Ft. Stewart & Hunter Army Airfield.
The unit was first constituted on 28 December 1942 in the Army of the United States as the 293d Military Police Company and activated on 30 December 1942 in England. The unit was inactivated on 14 September 1945 at Camp Patrick Henry, Virginia.
It was allotted on 14 January 1955 to the Regular Army and activated on 7 March 1955 at Fort Ord, California. This unit was inactivated on 7 December 1967 at Fort Ord, California.
It was again activated on 1 November 1970 at Fort George G. Meade, Maryland
549th Military Police Company
The 549th Military Police Company is a combat support military police company performs tactical missions as well as law enforcement operations on Fort Stewart and Hunter Army Airfield.
The 549th Military Police Company was first constituted on 15 March 1945 in the Army of the United States as the 549th Military Police Company and activated on 10 April 1945 in Hawaii. This unit was inactivated on 18 April 1946 in Hawaii.
It was activated on 15 January 1947 in the Panama Canal Zone and reorganized and redesignated on 27 September 1949 as the 549th Military Police Company, Post, Camp, or Station. This unit was allotted on 19 October 1951 to the Regular Army.
It was again reorganized and redesignated on 15 February 1953 as the 549th Military Police Service Company and inactivated on 28 August 1954 in the Panama Canal Zone.
The unit was redesignated on 13 February 1956 as the 549th Military Police Company and activated on 10 April 1956 in the Panama Canal Zone. The 549th Military Police Company was relocated from Panama in 1999 to Fort Stewart, Georgia.
179th Military Police Detachment
The 179th Military Police Detachment supports garrison Law Enforcement Operations at Fort Stewart and Hunter Army Airfield. In addition, the 179th Military Police Detachment deploys by sections in support of various ongoing operations. These sections include: Military Police Desk Operations, Traffic Accident Investigations, Military Police Investigations, K-9, and the Special Reaction Team.