3rd U.S. Infantry Regiment
"The Old Guard"
On order, the 3rd Infantry Regiment deploys by air, land, or foot to conduct army memorial affairs, ceremonies, and special events. In order to represent the US Army and the Military; conduct NBC operations; conducy area security operations; and control civil disturbances in suppoer of the Military District of Washington's defense to the National Capital Region.
The 3rd US Infantry Regiment is the Army's oldest infantry regiment. Company D participated in many battles including Manassas, Gaine's Mill, Malvern Hill, Chancellorsville, and Gettysburg. The Regiment was sent to New York to help restore order following the draft riots and returned to the Army of the Potomac in September 1863. The regiment was Washington's city guard from October 1864 to February when it became the Headquarters for the Army of the Potomac.
The 3rd Infantry Regiment was originally activated as the 1st American Regiment on 3 June 1784. The Unit was redesignated as the 3rd US Infantry in May-October 1815. The unit was inactivated on 20 November 1946. The regiment was reactivated on 6 April 1948. The Military District Washington Ceremonial Company became A Company in 1950.
On April 10, 1952 President Truman presented the regiment the Presidential Baton and names it "Honor Guard to the President". The US Army Drill Team was organized in 1957. The Fife and Drum Corps was organized on 1960. In 1963 the 3rd Infantry was offically recognized as the "The Old Guard".
H Company was activated in 10 September 1971.
The Commander-in-Chief's Guard was activated in December 1973.
3rd Battalion, 3rd Infantry was inactivated on 25 August 1994. The 289th Military Police Company was attached to the Old Guard on 1 November 1994.
The Fife and Drum Corps became a seperate company on 1 November 1995.
The 3rd Infantry was activated for contingencies involving rescure and recovery for the disaster site at the Pentagon on September 11, 2001.
Soldiers from B Company, 3rd U.S. Infantry Regiment (The Old Guard) deployed in support of the Combined Joint Task Force-Horn of Africa and the Global War on Terrorism in December 2003. This is the first time this Army ceremonial unit has deployed since the Vietnam War. While it may be best known as the guard of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, it is primarily a tactical unit, and orders to deploy in support of the war on terrorism are in keeping with The Old Guard's training, capability and tradition.
The Old Guard continues to take part in missions such as providing force protection for civil affairs personnel and engaging in joint operations with American and regional militaries.
Part of the unit departed base camp for a mission in rural, mountainous Djibouti only a few days after arriving in Djibouti.
The Old Guard Soldiers will be providing security to reservist engineers from the 916th Engineering Unit, based out of North Dakota, who will be drilling water wells for local citizens. In addition to this mission, the company has zeroed and fired on local ranges end engaged in training such as Marine-instructed egress and ingress helicopter drills on the airfield in Djibouti.
The Old Guard replaced a unit from the 10th Mountain Division, which spent several months working with the CJTF-HOA, and The Old Guard unit is scheduled to stay in Djibouti at least six months.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|