39th Finance Battalion
The 39th Finance Battalion was first constituted on 26 June 1942 in the Army of the United States as Detachment Finance 6055-S. It was activated on 28 September 1942 at Fort Benjamin Harrison, Indiana. It was redesignated on 22 March 1943 as the 39th Finance Disbursing Section. With the end of the Second World War, the unit was inactivated on 4 October 1946 in France.
The unit was allotted on 20 September 1951 to the Regular Army. It was reactivated on 20 December 1951 in Germany. It was redesignated on 25 June 1964 as the 39th Finance Section.
The Section was reorganized and redesignated on 16 October 1984 as the 39th Finance Center and again on 16 October 1988 as the 39th Finance Support Unit.
The unit was reorganized and redesignated on 16 November 1993 as the 39th Finance Battalion. The distinctive unit insignia was approved on 26 April 1994 for the 39th Finance Battalion, consisting of a shield blazoned: Gules, on a pale Sable fimbriated Or 3 lozenges with axis horizontal of the like. Attached below and along 2 sides of the shield was a Black scroll inscribed "DIAMOND DEDICATION" in Gold. The Finance branch was represented by the lozenges. The lozenges referred also to the unit's motto, "Diamond Dedication," and recall the 3 World War II campaigns in which the unit participated. Scarlet denoted courage and sacrifice. The black pale signified solidity and responsibility. Gold (yellow) denoted the primary finance mission of the Battalion. All 3 colors reflected the unit's historic ties to the Federal Republic of Germany. Gold (yellow) stood for excellence.
The 39th Finance Battalion, unofficially known as the Tuzla Bank and Trust, was open for business as usual on the November 1997 morning in northern Bosnia. Jeff Bingham, who was a banker from Victoria, Texas, and a major in the Texas Army National Guard, was on hand to make sure the customers were satisfied. His desk in a nondescript cement, single-story building was fashioned from two-by-four studs and unpainted plywood. A vault behind him consisted of a half-dozen olive drab safes stacked against a wall and secured with a heavy chain. The shoulder holster strapped over his camouflage shirt held a 9-millimeter automatic. The trappings may be considerably more Spartan than his office at the South Texas Bank back in coastal Victoria where he was an investment counselor, but the job was essentially the same. Sixty-nine members of the Texas Army Guard's 49th Finance Battalion from Austin were working behind the scenes with the active Army's 39th Finance Battalion until spring 1998 to keep their customers' pay and other financial benefits in order.
In July 2006, the 106th Finance Battalion, 266th Finance Command was inactivated. A number of its detachments were merged into the 39th Finance Battalion.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|