385th Military Police Battalion
The 385th Military Police Battalion was frist constituted on 28 October 1944 in the Army of the United States as the 385th Military Police Battalion. The Battalion was activated on 3 November 1944 in Requel Sarthe, France. The unit was organized as of 24 March 1945 with a Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment and 3 companies (A, B, and C), and tasked with railway security. The Battalion earned a campaign streamer for the Rhineland Campaign during the Second World War.
After the end of the Second World War, the Battalion departed France for Germany 4 September 1945. The Battalion particiapted in the Allied occupation of Germany. It was reorganized and redesignated on 1 August 1946 as the 385th Military Police Service Battalion. On 25 February 1947, the Battalion was relieved from its previous attachment and placed under Provost Marshall, where it continued to provide support on a "as needed basis." The Battalion was inactivated on 1 November 1948 in Germany. During the period in Germany, the Battalion guarded for railways in and around Munich, including some 548 trains and 17,786 individual rail cars, over 110,000 miles of travel in a 2 month period. No rail cars were pilfered during that time.
The Battalion was redesignated on 9 December 1954 as the 385th Military Police Battalion and allotted to the Regular Army amd activated on 9 February 1955 in Boeblingen, Germany assigned to the Seventh Army, per US Army Europe (USAREUR) General Order 1. The Battalion's Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, and its subordinate A, B, and C Companies were relocated on 19 October 1955 to Wilkins Barracks, Kornwestheim.
In November 1964, Company C relocated from Wilkins Barracks, to Smiley Barracks, Karlshue, Germany. On 21 July 1966, the 385th Military Police Battalion along with A and B Companies, was reassigned to the 15th Military Police Brigade. Companies B and C had Detachment's in New Ulm. Company's A and B supported the Stuttgart Military Police Station. The Commander of the attached 31st Military Police Detachment was also the area Provost Marshall for North Wurttemburg. Elements were spread in various military police stations at Stuttgart, Heilbronn, Schwaebish Hall, Schwaebish Gmeund, Goeppingen, Crailsheim, Ulm, and Karlsruhe, Germany.
In 1972, Company B relocated to Wharton Barracks, Heilbronn, Germany. On 15 July 1976, the 385th Military Police Battalion was reassigned to VII Corps. On 21 October 1977, the Battalion's A, B, and C Comapnies were inactivated.
In June 1991, the 385th Military Police Battalion consisted of the 194th, 204th, 300th, 595th, 615th, 630th, and 981st Military Police Company's. The 385th Military Police Battalion was inactivated on 15 June 1993 in Germany.
The Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 385th Military Police Battalion was activated on 17 April 2006 at Fort Stewart, Georgia. The Battalion was assigned to US Army Forces Command, placed under the operational control of the 16th Military Police Brigade (Airborne), XVIII Corps (Airborne). The 3rd Military Police Battalion (Provisional) was concurrently inactivated, with its headquarters element reflagged as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 385th Military Police Battalion. The 293rd and 549th Military Police Companies were also assigned to the new battalion, while the 179th Military Police Detachment was inactivated. The 546th Military Police Company also joined the 385th Military Police Battalion at that time. The 139th Military Police Company was activated and assigned to the Battalion on 7 November 2007.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|