376th Engineer Company
Members of the 376th Engineer Company derive their heritage from a long line of engineer soldiers hailing from the sprawling industrial northwestern corner of the proud "Hoosier" state. The engineer soldier answers to the battle cry "Essayons" (Let Us Try) and his motto is "Service and Fidelity."
The 376th Engineers were organized in 1917 as the 1st Separate Battalion Engineers, Indiana Army National Guard who were consolidated with units of the West Virginia and Kentucky National Guards. On September 16, 1917 the engineers were redesignated the 113th Engineer Battalion and assigned to the 38th Infantry Division. Shortly there afterward, the engineers from northwestern Indiana were mobilized, trained at Camp Shelby, Mississippi, and subsequently sent overseas during World War I. Arriving in France on September 28, 1918, the engineers saw duty in the mission of construction, chiefly in the building of a large base camp near Brest. The engineers served in the Army of Occupation at Konz, Germany, prior to their return to the United States in the spring of 1919.
During the 1930s, the engineers faithfully served their country by providing support to the southern Indiana region during the Ohio River flood of 1937 and again in Wisconsin during the "Big Rain" of 1940.
It wasn't until January 17, 1941 that the engineers were again mobilized. This time they were called to serve in World War II. They landed on Leyte in December 1944 with their basic load of engineer equipment consisting of 400 tons of assault and pioneer equipment, 140 tons of 30-day engineer supplies, and a complete "Bailey Bridge" unit weighing over 89 tons. After Leyte came Luzon, ZigZag Pass, Corregidor, Caballo Island, and Zambales. The engineers saw action at all locations.
Finally the engineers from Hammond, Indiana came to their latest and greatest incarnation when they were hand selected to serve as the separate Engineer Company for the 76th Separate Infantry Brigade "Nighthawks." In late 1994, Co C, 113th Engineer Battalion was redesignated as the 376th Engineer Company (Separate).
Proudly hailing from the industrial steel factory belt of northwestern Indiana, the 376th Engineers have adopted the motto "Men of Steel."
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|