30th Signal Battalion
The 30th Signal Battalion was first constituted on 11 May 1942 in the Army of the United States as the 30th Signal Construction Battalion and activated on 17 August 1942 at Camp Atterbury, Indiana. It was reorganized and redesignated on 14 June 1944 as the 30th Signal Heavy Construction Battalion. During the Second World War, the Battalion participated in 4 campaigns: Naples-Foggia, Rome-Arno, North Apennines, and Po Valley. After the end of the war, Company A was inactivated on 1 January 1946 in Italy and the rest of the Battalion (less Company A) was inactivated there on 10 June 1946.
The Battalion was redesignated on 16 October 1992 as the 30th Signal Battalion and allotted to the Regular Army. Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 30th Signal Battalion was concurrently activated at Fort Shafter, Hawaii. There the 30th Signal Battalion supported the automation needs of all the US Army units on the islands of Hawaii. This included Fort Shafter and Schofield Barracks on Oahu, and the Pohakuloa Training Area and Kilauea Military Camp on the Big Island of Hawaii. Contracted civilians also produced support, with Science Applications International Corporation's (SAIC) support to the 30th Signal Battalion commander involving the engineering and installation of local and wide area networks; engineering, development, integration, and installation of software systems, which included database driven Intra- and Internet systems; and quality assurance services.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|