307th Integrated Theater Signal Battalion
307th Signal Battalion
The mission of the 307th Integrated Theater Signal Battalion is to install, operate, maintain, and defend tactical theater level communications systems in support of US Army Pacific (USARPAC), combined and joint task forces, and combatant commanders to support the full range of military operations.
The 307th Integrated Theater Signal Battalion was first constituted on 27 May 1942 in the Army of the United States as the 313th Coast Artillery Barrage Balloon Battalion and activated on 15 June 1942 in the Canal Zone. The unit was reorganized and redesignated on 27 January 1944 as the 313th Antiaircraft Balloon Battalion, Low Altitude.
The unit was converted and redesignated on 10 April 1944 as the 48th Signal Light Construction Battalion. It was reorganized and redesignated on 26 June 1944 as the 48th Signal Heavy Construction Battalion and inactivated on 29 November 1945 at Fort Monmouth, New Jersey. During the Second World War the unit was awared campaign streamers for participation in the American Theater (streamer without inscription) and Rhineland.
While inactivate, the unit was redesignated on 26 February 1947 as the 307th Signal Heavy Construction Battalion and allotted to the Organized Reserves. It was activated on 11 March 1947 with Headquarters at Cincinnati, Ohio. The Battalion's organic elements were activated 24 April 1947. The Organized Reserves as a whole were redesignated on 25 March 1948 as the Organized Reserves Corps and again on 9 July 1952 as the Army Reserve. The unit remained assigned to these organizations.
The Battalion was reorganized and redesignated on 1 March 1950 as the 307th Signal Construction Battalion and the location of its Headquarters changed on 5 February 1951 to Fort Thomas, Kentucky. It was reorganized and redesignated again on 28 October 1953 as the 307th Signal Battalion and the location of its Headquarters was changed again on 1 July 1957 to Cincinnati, Ohio. The Battalion's organic elements were disbanded 24 April 1959. Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 307th Signal Battalion was inactivated on 15 January 1963 at Cincinnati, Ohio.
The Battalion was withdrawn on 1 March 1970 from the Army Reserve, allotted to the Regular Army, and activated in Vietnam. There it participated in 3 campaigns: Winter-Spring 1970, Sanctuary Counteroffensive, and Counteroffensive, Phase VII. The Battalion was inactivated on 30 April 1971 in Vietnam.
The Battalion was redesignated on 31 July 1971 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 307th Signal Battalion, and activated in Korea with its organic elements concurrently reconstituted in the Regular Army and activated. The Battalion was inactivated on 1 October 1977 in Korea. Company A was reactivated on 16 May 1987 in Korea and the rest of the Battalion was activated on 16 March 1988 in Korea. There the 307th Signal Battalion provided tactical communications in the southern region of the Republic of Korea. Situated at Camp Carroll in the city of Waegwan, the 307th consisted of a Headquarters and Headquarters Company and Companies A, B and C. Soldiers of the 307th Signal Battalion provided mobile tactical communications for subscribers in the southern areas. The 307th Signal Battalion provided 3 area signal centers, which included message center and facsimile services; teletypewriter terminal, an automatic telephone central office switching facility, and a radio-wire-integration station for FM radio access to the Corps Area Signal Center Telephone Distribution System.
The Battalion also had 2 separate signal companies attached to it, the 226th Signal Company and the 229th Signal Company. The 229th Signal Company (Tactical Satellite) was under the operational control of the 307th Signal Battalion. The 229th Signal Company was located at Camp Carroll in Waegwan south of Seoul. On 15 October 2005, the 226th and 229th Signal Companies were inactivated and the 307th Signal Battalion became the Army's first Integrated Theater Signal Battalion.
The 307th Integrated Theater Signal Battalion was reassigned from the 1st Signal Brigade to the 516th Signal Brigade and relocated to Schofield Barracks, Hawaii on 13 November 2006. Three of the 307th's companies were located in Hawaii, with the fourth Company, Alpha Company, stationed at Fort Richardson, Alaska attached to the 59th Signal Battalion.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|