307th Brigade Support Battalion
307th Forward Support Battalion
The mission of the 307th Forward Support Battalion was to provide Direct Support for the 1st Brigade, 82nd Airborne Division, "Devils in Baggy Pants" or "Devil Brigade." The 307th Forward Support Battalion conducted training rotations at the United States Army Joint Readiness Training Center. The Training Center offered the soldiers of the Battalion a unique opportunity of providing comprehensive combat service support to the 1st Brigade in a simulated combat environment against a well equipped opposing force. Teamwork, technical and tactical proficiency are the essence of what the Battalion does on a continuous basis throughout the exercise. The 307th duty was to supply the 1st Brigade with ammunition, fuel, food, and water, repair vehicles and equipment, and provide their medical support and casualty evacuation, all while providing for the defense of the Brigade Support Area.
The 307th Brigade Support Battalion was first constituted on 5 August 1917 as the 307th Sanitary Train in the National Army and assigned to the 82nd Infantry Division. The unit was organized in Camp Gordon, Georgia on 20 September 1917, in support of World War I. For their efforts during World War I the 307th earned 3 campaign streamers, for St. Mihiell, Meuse-Argonne and Lorraine. On 9 May 1919 the 307th was demobilized at Camp Dix, New Jersey.
After nearly 17 years the 307th was reconstituted on 24 November 1936 in the Organized Reserves as the 307th Sanitary Train. The 307th was again assigned to the 82nd Division and concurrently consolidated with the 307th Medical Regiment (Active). In October 1941 the location of the unit changed to Jacksonville, Florida. On 30 January 1942 the 307th Sanitary Train was redesignated as the 307th Medical Battalion and ordered onto active status on 25 March 1942 and sent to Camp Claiborne, Louisiana.
On 15 August 1942, Headquarters and Headquarters Company became the 307th Airborne Medical Company as an element of the 82nd Airborne Division. A, B, C, and D companies were concurrently inactivated in Camp Claiborne, Louisiana.
In 1943 the 307th made their first combat jump with the 82nd Airborne Division completing 3 combat jumps into Sicily where they set up a medical clearing station. For 11 days the 307th clearing station was the only American medical service available in Naples. The 307th participated in "Operation Overlord" jumping and landing by glider into Normandy, France hastily constructing a shelter and treating over 4,000 casualties. In September the 307th jumped into Holland where they set up a clearing station in an open field near Grosbeek. Four medical teams worked around the clock to maintain medical service during a 10 day period. Then during the famous "Battle of the Bulge" the 307th established a clearing station in Belgium and later moved it to Cologne, Germany.
The 307th earned 6 combat streamers for their service in World War II. Three were presented with arrowheads for assaults. Other decorations included the Presidential Unit Citation, the Meritorious Unit Commendation, 3 French Croix de Guerre with palm, the Belgium Fourregere, Military Order of William and the Netherlands Orange Lanyard.
On 15 December 1947 the unit was reorganized and reconstituted as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 307th Medical Battalion with organic units concurrently activated at Ft Bragg, North Carolina. On 18 May 1948 the unit became the 307th Airborne Medical Battalion and on 15 November 1948 was withdrawn from the Organized Reserves and allotted to the Regular Army.
On 1 September 1957 the 307th was renamed the 82nd Medical Company (Airborne). Then on 25 May 1964 the 307th was renamed again, this time the 307th Medical Battalion.
In 1965 the 307th deployed to the Dominican Republic for "Operation Power Pack" where the 307th furnished medical support to military and civilian casualties.
During February 1969, A Company deployed to the Republic of Vietnam with the 3rd Brigade, 82nd Airborne Division. Due to extensive demands the company was split up into 2 separate elements. They stayed this way for most of the tour. The 2 elements established Bolling Hospital, named after the 3rd Brigade Commander, Brig. General Alexander Bolling Jr. and also established Brady Dental Clinic, named in honor of Major R. Brady, the 3rd Brigade dental officer. A Company earned the Republic of Vietnam Civil Action Honor Medal for this campaign.
In late October 1983 the 307th deployed to the Island of Grenada as part of "Operation Urgent Fury" setting up clearing stations and a hospital on the airstrip at Point Salinas. They also provided medical support to the island hospital in St. Georges.
In late December of 1989 B Company was alerted and deployed to the Republic of Panama for "Operation Just Cause" supporting the 1st Brigade. B Company participated in the first divisional combat jump since World War II, jumping into Tocumen-Torrijos Airfield. In addition B Company delivered 8 babies during their deployment to Panama.
On 9 August 1990 the 307th was alerted and sent as the first medical unit to Saudi Arabia in support of "Operation Desert Shield." During "Operation Desert Storm" the 307th deployed 250 miles into Iraq and is credited with saving numerous U.S. lives as well as treating Iraqi soldiers and civilians during combat.
In August 1992 the 307th provided medical support to civilians as well as military personnel during Hurricane Andrew relief efforts in the hurricane-ravaged area of South Florida.
On 16 April 1994 the unit was converted and redesignated as the 307th Support Battalion (Forward). The 307th was made up of 3 separate companies including Headquarters and A Company, which consisted of the Battalion Headquarters and a Supply Company, B Company (Direct Support Maintenance) and C Company (Forward Support Medical Company).
In mid September 1999 the 307th sent 19 soldiers to Kosovo as part of the Task Force 3-504.
As of October 2005 the 307th Forward Support Battalion was operating out of FOB Salerno in Afghanistan as the lead element in Logistics Task Force 307. The 69th Transportation Company from Mannheim, Germany. The task force was broken up into 4 companies, dubbed the Diablos, Mad Dogs, Witch Doctors and Road Runners, responsible for providing a full spectrum of support for their area of responsibility. The Diablos (A Company, 307th Forward Support Battalion) provided supply and distribution support, the Mad Dogs (B Company, 307th Forward Support Battalion) provided maintenance support, and the Witch Doctors (C Company, 307th Forward Support Battalion) provided medical support. While the 307th Forward Support Battalion comes fully equipped out of Fort Bragg, for this deployment they decided to give their weary truck drivers a break and give a unit out of Germany a chance to earn their combat patches. As a result 69th Transportation Company was assigned to the Task Force.
On 15 January 2006, as part of the Army's transformation towards a modular force, the title and composition of the 307th Forward Support Battalion was changed. Under the previous force structure, the Division Support Command (DISCOM) had controlled Forward Support Battalions, habitually attached to the Division's 3 Brigades. Under the modular force structure these units were officially inactivated and reactivated as Brigade Support Battalions, organic elements of the new modular Brigade Combat Teams. The Brigade Support Battalion consists of a Headquarters and Headquarters company, a supply company, maintenance company, and medical company, along with 4 forward support companies attached to each of the Brigade's Battalions.
In 2007 the Battalion deployed to Iraq with other elements of the 1st Brigade Combat Team, 82nd Airborne Division, as part of Operation Iraqi Freedom, serving in that country into 2008.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|