304th Integrated Theater Signal Battalion
304th Signal Battalion
"Ready, Always Ready"
The 304th Integrated Theater Signal Battalion (ITSB) mission is to plan, install, operate, maintain, and defend (PIOM&D), communications systems in support of combined, joint, and army operations during all phases of theater plans and contingency operations as directed.
The 304th Signal Battalion was a theater-level, echelon above corps tactical signal unit, forward-deployed in the Republic of Korea. The unit provided tactical command and control communications support using Digital Group Multiplexing Assemblages, Tropospheric Radio Systems, Digital Switch Systems and associated communications equipment. Primary services offered by the battalion to its customers included tactical voice, telephone, data communications and message traffic support.
Prior to its reorganization as an Integrated Theater Signal Battalion, the Battalion's mission was to provide tactical communications support as part of the theater integrated strategic-tactical network in support of United Nations Command, Combined Forces Command, United States Forces Korea, Eighth US Army and non-DoD US government organizations within its areas of responsibilities. The Battalion's goal was to provide quality, reliable communications support to the warfighter.
The 304th Signal Battalion was first constituted on 29 July 1921 in the Organized Reserves. It was organized in March 1922 in Atlanta, Georgia. The unit's first operational mission was in December 1944 during some of the most bitter fighting of the General MacArthur's Pacific Campaign. The unit provided tactical communications to Headquarters, Eighth United States Army, at Leyte, Philippines, and to EUSA Rear in Hollandia, New Guinea. For its outstanding service during World War II, the Battalion received a Meritorious Unit Commendation Award and the Philippines Presidential Unit Citation.
Following Japan's capitulation, the Battalion landed with the 11th Airborne Division at Atsugi Air Base, Japan. The Battalion's mission was to supply communications throughout Japan for Headquarters, EUSA, and to provide radio communications with Okinawa and the Philippines. The Battalion headquarters was established in the Imperial Silk Mill at Yokohama, Japan.
The Battalion entered the Korean War in July 1950 and was tasked to provide communications for Headquarters, Eighth US Army Korea (EUSAK). The unit established its initial signal sites in the central part of South Korea near Taegu. During the war, the Battalion provided communications support throughout Korea and had elements as far north as the Yalu River. By 1952, the Battalion was widely dispersed, with its main headquarters in Taegu, an advance group in Seoul, and numerous detachments functioning separately throughout Korea. In February 1952, the main headquarters of the Battalion moved to Seoul, where it remained for more than 25 years.
In June 1953, the Battalion was withdrawn from the Army Reserve and was allotted to the regular Army. The Battalion received campaign participation credit for all 10 campaigns of the Korean War and was awarded 2 Meritorious Unit Commendation Awards for its outstanding service.
The Battalion underwent several organizational changes and moved to several locations throughout Korea. In May 1977, the Battalion headquarters, HHC, and C Company were relocated from their facilities at Kimpo Base in Seoul to Camp Colbern, located east of Seoul in the foothills of the remote Kumdan-san Mountains. The camp was situated on 72 acres, has 35 buildings, and had installation property valued in excess of $40 million. The Battalion Commander serves as garrison commander of Camp Colbern. Company A was located at Camp Humphreys, 45 miles south of Seoul, and Company B was located in Wonju at Camp Long, 60 miles southeast of Seoul.
The Battalion's MTOE, effective 16 October 1995, authorized the unit a Headquarters and Headquarters Company and 3 line companies. At that time the Headquarters and Headquarters Company and Company C remained located at Camp Colbern, while Company A and Company B remained located in Seoul and at Camp Long respectively. During the 1990s, the unit also won numerous awards.
In November 2005, Camp Colbern was closed and preparations were made for its transfer to the ownership of the Republic of Korea. HHC, 304th Signal Battalion and C Company subsequently relocated to Camp Stanley near Uijongbu. A and B Companies remained at their previous locations.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|