3rd Squadron, 7th Cavalry Regiment
3rd Squadron, 7th Cavalry Regiment was first constituted as Company C, 7th Cavalry on 28 July 1866 and was organized at Fort Riley, Kansas on 10 September 1866. During this time the unit was involved in the Indian Wars and conducted operations during the following campaigns: Comanche, Little Big Horn, Nez Perces, Pine Ridge, Montana (1873) and Dakota (1874). In 1883, cavalry companies were officially redesignated as troops. The unit participated in the Mexican Expedition Campaign between 1916 and 1917, but on 1 February 1928 Troop C, 7th Cavalry was inactivated.
Troop C, 7th Cavalry was again activated at Fort Bliss, Texas on 1 August 1940. The 7th Cavalry dismounted on 28 February 1943 and reorganized under part cavalry and infantry tables of organization on 4 December 1943. On 20 July 1945, the 7th Cavalry reorganized wholly as infantry, but retained its cavalry designations. The unit participated in campaigns in the Rhineland and Ardennes-Alsace. On 25 March 1949, Troop C, 7th Cavalry was redesignated as Company C, 7th Cavalry.
The unit was transferred on 1 July 1957 from Japan to Germany. It was concurrently consolidated with the 10th reconnaissance Company, reorganized and redesignated as Headquarters and Headquarters Troop, 3rd Reconnaissance Squadron, 7th Cavalry. It was also relieved from assignment to 1st Cavalry Division, and reassigned to 10th Infantry Division with its organic elements were concurrently constituted and activated.
On 14 June 1958 the troop was relieved from the 10th Infantry Division and assigned to the 2nd Infantry Division. During the Korean War the unit participated in the UN Defensive, UN Offensive, CCF Intervention, First UN Counteroffensive, CCF Spring Offensive, UN Summer-Fall Offensive, and the Second and Third Korean Winter Campaigns.
The unit was redesignated on 15 June 1963 as 3rd Squadron, 7th Cavalry. It was inactivated on 20 February 1963 at Fort Benning, Georgia and was concurrently relieved from assignment to 2nd Infantry Division. The unit was reassigned to the 3rd Infantry Division on 18 April 1963, and reactivated on 5 June 1963 in Germany. The Squadron served the 3rd Infantry Division for 23 years. While serving with the 3rd Infantry Division, the unit participated in several campaigns in Vietnam including: Defensive, Counteroffensive, Counteroffensive Phases II, III, IV, V, VI and VII, Tet Counteroffensive, Tet 69 Counteroffensive, Summer-Fall 1969, Winter-Spring 1970, and the Sanctuary Counteroffensive.
It was inactivated there on 16 October 1986 and was relieved from assignment to the 3rd Infantry Division. On 16 December 1986, it was reassigned to the 8th Infantry Division and activated in Germany. The unit inactivated on 16 November 1992 in Germany and was relieved from assignment to the 8th Infantry Division. The former 10th Reconnaissance Company was concurrently withdrawn from the 3rd Squadron, 7th Cavalry and consolidated with Headquarters and Headquarters Troop, 3rd Squadron, 17th Cavalry, and thereafter had a separate lineage.
The Headquarters and Headquarters Troop was consolidated on 16 December 1992 with the 3rd Reconnaissance Company and designated as Headquarters and Headquarters Troop, 3rd Squadron, 7th Cavalry. On 16 February 1996, the squadron was assigned to the 3rd Infantry Division and activated at Fort Stewart, Georgia as the Division Cavalry Squadron and became the "Eyes and Ears" of the Marne Division, the "Iron Fist" of the XVIII Airborne Corps. The Squadron was involved in several deployments in that capacity, including Operation Desert Spring in Kuwait, Operation Joint Forge in Bosnia, and Operation Iraqi Freedom.
Combat operations for Operation Iraqi Freedom began on 20 March 2003 when the squadron crossed into Iraq as the lead element of the 3rd Infantry Division. The Squadron attacked to Baghdad fighting both the Republican Guard and the Sadam Fedayeen. It was the longest cavalry charge in the history of the world and it ended in the capture of Baghdad.
With the capture of Baghdad, the Division and the Squadron transitioned to stabilization operations. By the time the Squadron had redeployed it had killed 2,200 Iraqi personnel, 64 tanks, 41 armored vehicles, numerous active air defense systems, as well as trucks and civilian vehicles used as suicide bombers.
The Squadron was reassigned to the reorganized 2nd Brigade Combat Team of the 3rd Infantry Division in 2004 and as the Brigade's Armored Reconnaissance Squadron. This shift was part of the transformation of the entire 3rd Infantry Division to the US Army's new modular force structure.
Combat operations for Operation Iraqi Freedom III began on 4 February 2005 when the Squadron arrived at Forward Operating Base Rustamiyah located in southeast Baghdad. Immediately upon arrival, the Squadron began patrolling the area east of the Tigris River in the Rusafa and New Baghdad districts as well as securing Route Pluto North, one of the primary supply routes for the Division.
The Squadron played a major role in the success of the Mada'in Province. The Squadron was first assigned to this area in April 2005 after the police station in Salman Pak had been destroyed by insurgents and many police officers had been killed. The Squadron immediately brought security to the area and facilitated the local governance to flourish.
When the Squadron redeployed in January 2006, it had conducted over 5,500 combat patrols throughout southeastern Baghdad in an area of operations that covered 500 square kilometers. The Squadron also detained over 150 insurgents making the streets safer for the people of Iraq.
In mid-2007, the 2nd Brigade Combat Team was again deployed to Iraq as part of Operation Iraqi Freedom. The 3-7th Cavalry deployed with other elements of the 2nd Brigade Combat Team, remaining in Iraq into 2008.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|