3rd Battalion - 124th Infantry Regiment
The 53rd Infantry Brigade's 3rd Battalion, 124th Infantry, is called the "Warrior Battalion". This Battalion is made up of three line companies, A-Alpha, B-Bravo, and C-Charlie. It also has a Tow Company D-Delta and a Headquarters company. All companies in this battalion are located in the panhandle from Pensacola east to Tallahassee to south to Panama City. The line Companys have three Rifle platoons, a Mortar section and a Headquarters section. The Battalion Headquarters is located in Panama City, FL.
Company B 3rd Battalion is located inside Ellyson Field at 8790 Grow Road. The Unit was formed 6 December 1947 and held the first meetings in the Defuniak Springs lake yard in the old Chautaugua Auditorium. In early 1948 the first Armory was constructed at the corner of 9th Avenue and Burdick Street on the old Harbeson football field. The unit met in the block building until 1955 when the Armory at 435 North 9th street was completed. The unit drilled at that location until January 30, 1998, when it was moved to its present location here at Ellyson Field in Pensacola. Almost every walk of life has contributed to the membership of this unit; Postmasters, Teachers, Lawyers, Politicians, Commissioners, Bankers, Businessmen, State Patrol, Civil workers, students, State and County employees.
The 3rd Battalion, 124th Infantry, was cited for outstanding performance of duty in action near Altape, British New Guinea, during the period 12 July 1944 to 7 August 1944. On 12 July 1944, the 3 rd Battalion, after a force march of 12 miles, routed an enemy-held position east of the X-Ray River to secure a line of departure, to launch a counterattack to restore the line of the Driniumor River, which had been penetrated by a determined fanatical enemy force the previous day. The 3 rd Battalion, with an exposed right flank, led the attack and by strong aggressive action reached its objective late in the afternoon of 13 July 1944. This Battalion was subjected to intense automatic and small arms fire from three exposed flanks throughout the night, as other elements of the combat team had been delayed by a strong enemy force and could not close in on the objective. On 14 July 1944, the 3 rd Battalion in an advance to close the left flank of the unit to their right, met sudden intensified enemy resistance from all directions.
The 3rd Battalion fighting with sheer determination under the most adverse circumstances finally overpowered the enemy killing 168 enemy and severed and strongly secured the enemy's main supply route. This feat was accomplished so swiftly that a enemy supply train continued to advance down the trail directly into the strongest sector of the 3 rd Battalion's perimeter, resulting in 131 enemy dead littering the trail and riverbed. Shortly before daybreak on 16 July the 3 rd Battalion was attacked by a well organized enemy force from the rear followed by a similar attack supported by mortar fire on the right flank by an enemy force occupying positions previously prepared by friendly troops. The opposition in that direction was quickly neutralized and one company of the battalion counterattacked to the right and drove the enemy from their position where 416 enemy were killed. Early on the morning of 21 July 1944, the enemy launched a vicious coordinated attack on the front and rear defense of the 3 rd battalion. There followed the most fanatical fighting up to this time as the enemy attacked the well defended positions of the battalion time and time again, only to be repulsed by a superior force. On 31 July 1944, the entire regiment, reinforce by an infantry battalion, launched a counter-attack, to the east toward Niumen Creek, to relieve the pressure on the extreme southern flank and to secure a position from which the enemy could be enveloped and cut off.
The 124th Infantry (First Florida) was organized 1884-1892 in the Florida State Troops from new and existing companies as the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th Battalions of Infantry with Headquarters at Jacksonville, Ocala, Pensacola, Gainesville, and Arcadia, respectively. Battalions consolidated, reorganized, and mustered into Federal service 20 - 25 May 1898 at Tampa as the 1st Florida volunteer Infantry; eight companies mustered out 3 December 1898 at Tampa and 4 companies mustered out 27 January 1899 at Huntsville, Alabama.
Expanded and reorganized 17 - 18 August 1899 in the Florida State Troops as the 1st and 2nd Regiments on Infantry. Florida State Troops redesignated in 1909 as the Florida National Guard. The 2nd Regiment of Infantry mustered into Federal service in June 1916; mustered out of Federal service in March 1917. 1st and 2nd Regiments of Infantry drafted into Federal service 5 August 1917 at Jacksonville and Wauchula, respectively. Consolidated, reorganized, and redesignated on 1 October 1917 at the 124th Infantry and assigned to the 31st Division. Demobilized 14 January 1919 at Camp Gordon, GA.
Reconstituted and reorganized 1920 - 1921 in the Florida National Guard as the 1st Infantry; Headquarters Federally recognized on 4 June 1921 at Jacksonville. Redesignated 19 December 1921 as the 154th Infantry and assigned to the 39th Division. Redesignated 1 July 1923 as the 124th Infantry; concurrently relieved from assignment to the 39th Division and assigned to the 31st Division.
Inducted into Federal service 25 November 1940 at home station. Relieved 15 December 1941 from assignment to the 31st Division. Inactivated 2 March 1944 at Fort Jackson, South Carolina. Assigned 5 April 1944 to the 31st Infantry Division and activated in Australia with personnel from the 154th Infantry (constituted and activated in 1942 in the Army of the United States). Inactivated 16 December 1945 at Camp Stoneman, CA.
Reorganized and Federally recognized 15 February 1946 with Headquarters at Jacksonville. Relieved 13 June 1946 form assignment to the 31st Infantry Division. Assigned 5 July 1946 to the 48th Infantry Division. Regiment broken up 1 November 1955 and its elements reorganized and redesignated as follows: Headquarters and 1st Battalion as the 124th Armored Infantry Battalion and assigned to the 48th Armored Division. 3rd Battalion as the 154th Armored Infantry Battalion and assigned to the 48th Armored Divsion. 3rd Battalion as the 154 th Armored Infantry Battalion and assigned to the 48th Armored Division.
124th and 154th Armored Infantry Battalions consolidated on 15 April 1959 to form the 124th Infantry, a parent regiment under the Combat Arms Regimental System, to consist of the 1st and 2nd Armored Rifle Battalions, elements of the 48th Armored Division. Reorganized 15 February 1963 to consist of the 1st and 2nd Battalions, elements of the 53rd Separate Infantry Brigade. Reorganized 1 March 1964 to consist of the 1st Battalion and the 2nd Battalion, an element of the 53rd Infantry Brigade. Reorganized 20 January 1968 to consist of the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Battalions, elements of the 53rd Infantry Brigade.
Withdrawn 1 May 1989 from the Combat Arms Regimental System and reorganized under the United States Army Regimental System with Headquarters in Miami.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|