3rd Battalion, 112th Field Artillery
The 3rd Battalion, 112th Field Artillery has its headquarters in Morristown (Morris County), New Jersey. The primary weapon system is the M109A5 (155mm) self-propelled howitzer. The battalion has five subordinate units (called batteries) located in Morristown, Toms River, and Lawrenceville with fire support detachments located in Morristown and Cherry Hill. The battalion also has operational/training responsibilities for D/112th Field Artillery and Det 2/42d Division Artillery located in Cherry Hill. The field artillery can fire projectiles over 18 miles with pinpoint accuracy in supporting Brigade operations. In addition to cannoneers, the battalion has positions for surveyors, fire support, fire direction, cooks, ammunition, personnel, mechanics, supply, drivers, and medics.
The mission of the Field Artillery (FA) is to destroy, neutralize, or suppress the enemy by cannon, rocket, and missile fires, and to help integrate all fire support assets into combined arms operations. As a member of the 50th Infantry Brigade (42nd Infantry Division), 3rd Battalion, 112th Field Artillery, uses the M109A5 self-propelled howitzer to support the Brigade's mission of deploying, fighting, and defeating enemy forces in any type of terrain, weather, or combat situation. In peacetime C Battery trains to meet combat readiness standards, while supporting all Division, Brigade, and Battalion operations and exercises. It also provides a ready force of soldiers and equipment to assist New Jersey communities when disaster or emergencies strike.
The history of the 3rd Battalion, 112th Field Artillery extends back to the Revolutionary War. On February 13, 1775 the Provincial Congress of New Jersey authorized the raising of two companies of artillery in the colony. One was in the eastern half of the colony and the other in the western half. The Eastern Company was assigned to Colonel Thomas Proctor's Regiment of Artillery of the Continental Army. During the Revolution, the Eastern Company fought with George Washington at Trenton and in the battles of Princeton, Monmouth and many other engagements. After the Revolution the Eastern Company was assigned to the New Jersey Brigade which assisted in quelling the Pennsylvania Whiskey Rebellion of 1794.
The Eastern Company remained part of the New Jersey Brigade until August 12, 1861 when they were redesignated Battery A, First Brigade and mustered into service for the Civil War. During the Civil War, Battery A was engaged in the battles of West Point, Mechanicsville, Chantilly, Crampton's Pass and Antietam in virginia. They were especially effective and so honored at Antietam.
Following the Civil War, Battery A was returned to Hoboken and in 1869 moved to Elizabeth when the National Guard was formed. Later they became Gatling Gun Company A and in 1900 were changed to Battery A Field Artillery in East Orange.
Battery C was formed out of Battery A in 1916. Soon after, Battery C and the old Western Company, now located in Camden as Battery B, were called to duty on the Mexican border. During 1917, Batteries D, E and F were formed in Atlantic City, Montclair and Morristown. Now at regimental strength the unit was designated as the First New Jersey Field Artillery and left for training at Fort McClellen, Alabama. The Regiment was redesignated the 112th Field Artillery on October 10, 1917 and left for France in July of 1918. Lack of equipment and the rapid end of World War I precluded the 112th from being committed in action. They returned to New Jersey in May of 1919.
On January 27, 1941 the 112th was called to duty on orders from President Roosevelt. The unit was redesignated the 695th Field Artillery Battalion and left for training at Fort Bragg, North Carolina. After duty at Fort Sill and Fort Jackson they left for England in February of 1944. From there they went to France where they received their baptism of fire in the breakthrough of St. Lo. Five campaigns and a Presidential Unit Citation later the 695th returned home and became part of the New Jersey National Guard.
On September 3, 1950 the Battalion was called to duty again and served at Fort Knox during the Korean Police Action.
After successive redesignations and reorganizations, the unit now serves as the 3rd Battalion, 112th Field Artillery, New Jersey Army National Guard, assigned to the 42nd Infantry Division.
In 1998, the 3rd Battalion, 112th Field Artillery conducted field training and Live Fire Exercises at Fort Dix, NJ.
The Daily Record (NJ) reported on Sept. 2, 2004 that 250 personnel from Batteries A and C, 3rd Battalion, 112th Field Artillery were being activated in support of OIF, though they would not necessarily deploy to Iraq. Other personnel from the unit were already serving in Iraq. They deployed to Iraq in February 2004, as part of Task Force Baghdad.
Four soldiers from the unit were killed in two separate attacks in Baghdad on June 4-5, 2004.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|