Find a Security Clearance Job!

Military


3rd Battalion - 111th Air Defense Artillery Regiment

As of February, 2006 the 3rd Battalion, 111th Air Defense Artillery Regiment was inactivated as part of the Army's transformation to modular divisions. The unit cased its colors as the newly established 2nd Squadron, 183rd Cavalry Regiment was stood up during the same ceremony.

The 3rd Battalion, 111th Air Defense Artillery Regiment, was originally constituted on 2 July 1946 in the Virginia National Guard as the 691st Antiaircraft Artillery Automatic Weapons Battalion. It organized in southwestern Virginia from new and existing units and its Headquarters was federally recognized on 13 December 1946 at Portsmouth.

The unit was redesignated on 1 February 1949 as the 129th Antiaircraft Artillery Automatic Weapons Battalion and assigned to the 29th Infantry Division. It was redesignated on 1 October 1954 as the 129th Antiaircraft Artillery Battalion. It was reorganized and redesignated on 1 June 1959 as the 3rd Automatic Weapons Battalion, 111th Artillery, and relieved from assignment to the 29th Infantry Division.

The unit consolidated on 1 May 1972 with the 4th Battalion, 111th Artillery, which was itself constituted on 26 July 1954 in the Virginia Army National Guard as the 615th Antiaircraft Artillery Battalion, organized in 1954-1955 in southwestern Virginia with its Headquarters federally recognized on 13 September 1958 as the 615th Missile Battalion, 111th Artillery. That unit was reorganized and redesignated on 1 June 1959 as the 4th Missile Battalion, 111th Artillery.

The consolidated unit reorganized and was redesignated as the 111th Artillery, a parent regiment under the Combat Regimental System, to consist of the 3rd and 4th Battalions. It was redesignated on 1 November 1972 as the 111th Air Defense Artillery.

The unit reorganized on 30 September 1974 to consist of the 3rd battalion; and on 1 August 1075 to consist of the 3rd Battalion, an element of the 28th Infantry Division. It was relieved from assignment to the 28th Infantry Division and it then reorganized on 1 October 1990 under the Army Regimental system with Headquarters at Portsmouth.

The unit was later reassigned to the 29th Infantry Division.



NEWSLETTER
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list