3rd Battalion, 10th Infantry Regiment conducts Basic Combat Training continuously at Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri to produce motivated, disciplined and physically ready soldiers who espouse the Army Values, are trained in basic combat skills, and are capable of taking their place in the ranks of the Army in the field upon arrival.
The history of the 3-10th began on March 3, 1855. Within months of activation, the soldiers found themselves on the western frontier. The 10th Infantry fought in the battles of the Peninsula, the second Manassas, Fredericksburg, Chancelorville, Gettysburg, and many others.
The young Regiment's lineage grew as the troops moved further west to fight in the Indian Wars.
Leaving American soil in 1898, the 10th Infantry entered the Spanish-American War. The 10th Infantry was among the first to see combat in Cuba. For their actions, the regiment was awarded campaign credit for Santiago. The Philippine Insurrection soon followed and again the 10th Infantry answered the call to duty.
During World War I, the 10th Infantry returned to the United States and was divided into cadres that were used to form the leadership foundations of the new regiments.
When called again in World War II, the soldiers of the 10th Infantry found themselves revisiting the once bloodied and familiar terrain of France. On D-Day, the 10th Infantry Regiment advanced upon the beaches of Normandy.
Between October 31, 1929 and June 1, 1957 the 10th Infantry Regiment was inactivated and reactivated on five occasions. On June 4 1987, the 10th Infantry Regiment was reactivated at Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri.
The 3d Battalion, 10th Infantry was constituted on 3 March 1855, and organized in June 1855 at Carlisle Barracks, Pennsylvania. On 5 July 1918, the battalion was assigned to the 14th Division. On 24 March 1923, the battalion was assigned to the 5th Division.
Between 31 October 1929 and 1 June 1957, the 3d Battalion was inactivated and reactivated five separate times. It was re-designated on 19 March 1959, and withdrawn from the Regular Army, allotted to the Army Reserves, and assigned to the 83d Infantry Division. On 31 December 1965, they were inactivated at Cleveland, Ohio. The Battalion was reactivated on 4 June 1987, here at Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|