286th Signal Company
The mission of the 286th Signal Company, a separate 3-nodal Mobile Subscriber Equipment (MSE) company, is to provide a secure voice and data network to the 11th Air Defense Artillery Brigade and it's subordinate Battalions. The Company also provides, as required, an interface between the 11th Air Defense Artillery Brigade's Communications Network and higher, adjacent, joint, and combined networks.
The 286th Signal Company was first constituted on 11 July 1942 in the Army of the United States as the 286th Signal Company, Amphibian and activated on 15 July 1942 at Camp Edwards, Massachusetts. After intitial training, the Company deployed to the Mediterranean. The Company was redesignated on 10 May 1943 as the 286th Signal Company and was reorganized and redesignated on 5 April 1944 as the 286th Joint Assault Signal Company. During World War II, the Company was awarded streamers for 5 campaigns in the European-African-Middle Eastern Theater: Algeria-French Morocco, Sicily, Naples-Foggia, Normandy, and Northern France. The streamers for Algeria-French Morocco, Sicily, and Normandy featured an arrowhead indicating the company participation in the initial assault landings. The Company was one of the first units to land on Utah Beach on D-Day, on 6 June 1944 and earned the French Croix de Guerre (with Palm) for it's actions in the Normandy Campaign. The Company eventually returned from Europe after the Second World War and was inactivated on 14 May 1948 at Fort Emory, California.
The unit was redesignated on 16 October 1993 as the 286th Signal Company, allotted to the Regular Army, and activated at Fort Bliss, Texas as a separate company supporting the 11th Air Defense Artillery Brigade.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|