279th Signal Battalion
"Strike Fast And Sure"
The 279th Signal Battalion was originally constituted in the Army of The United States on 25 May 1944 as 279th Coast Artillery Battalion. It activated on 31 July 1944 at Shemya, AK. It inactivated on 28 November 1945 at Fort Lawton, WA.
Redesignated on 22 January 1951 as the 279th Antiaircraft Artillery Gun Battalion and allotted to the Alabama National Guard, the unit was organized and Federally recognized on 19 February 1951 with Headquarters at Huntsville, AL.
It reorganized and was redesignated on 1 June 1951 as 279th Antiaircraft Artillery Automatic Weapons Battalion. It was redesignated on 1 October 1953 as 279th Antiaircraft Artillery Batttalion (Automatic Weapons).
The unit converted, reorganized, and was redesignated on 2 May 1959 as the 279th Signal Battalion (Corps). It was ordered into active Federal service on 1 October 1961 at home station, and released from active Federal service on 10 August 1962, returning to state control.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|