The Largest Security-Cleared Career Network for Defense and Intelligence Jobs - JOIN NOW

Military


260th Quartermaster Battalion (Petroleum Support)
"The Nectar for Victory"

The mission of the 260th Quartermaster Battalion is to deploy and provide DS/GS storage, distribution, and quality surveillance of bulk petroleum products in a Corps area. The 260th Quartermaster Battalion (Petroleum Support) consists of the Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, the 110th Quartermaster Company, the 416th Transportation Company, the 473rd Quartermaster Company, the 512th Quartermaster Company, the 172nd Medical Detachment, the 258th Movement Control Team. The 24th Ordinance Company attached while their parent unit is deployed.

The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved on 6 July 1967. It was amended on 26 Feb 1993 to include metric measurements in the description and revise the symbolism. The Distinctive Unit Insignia consists of 2 gold keys saltirewise with wards up, behind a black wheel with 6 wavy spokes, above the motto and wheel a blue semi-circle, in base an area of red, all above a gold scroll inscribed "THE NECTAR FOR VICTORY" in black.

The coat of arms was approved on 26 Feb 1993. Shield: Per fess Azure and Gules (brick red), 2 keys saltirewise wards up and out Or surmounted by a bezant charged with a wheel with 6 wavy spokes Sable, hub Yellow. Blue is a color traditionally associated with the Quartermaster Corps. Brick red, representative of the Transportation Corps, alludes to the unit's transportation capability. The crossed keys symbolize Quartermaster units as the keeper of supplies. The black wheel with wavy spokes refers to the continuous supply of bulk petroleum. The 2 keys, the 6 spokes of the wheel and circle (representing a 0) of the hub, further allude to the numerical designation of the unit.

The 260th Quartermaster Battalion was constituted on 19 December 1942 in the Army of the United States as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 260th Quartermaster Service Battalion. It was activated on 29 January 1943 at Camp Swift, Texas.

The unit was reorganized and redesignated on 8 February 1944 as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 260th Quartermaster Battalion. Companies A, B, C, and D were reorganized and redesignated as the 4054th, 4055th, 4056th and 4057th Quartermaster Service Companies, respectively, which thereafter had separate lineages. The unit was inactivated on 23 November 1945 at Camp Myles Standish, Massachusetts.

It was redesignated on 13 October 1966 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 260th Quartermaster Battalion (Petroleum Supply), and allocated to the Regular Army. The unit was activated on 4 January 1967 at Fort Lee, Virginia. On 21 October 1972, HHC, 260th Quartermaster was transferred to Fort Stewart, Georgia. The relocation was short lived as the 260th Quartermaster again relocated, to Hunter Army Airfield, on 1 July 1974.

The unit was again reorganized and redesignated on 21 September 1977 as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 260th Quartermaster Battalion, on 16 January 1981 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 260th Quartermaster Battalion, and on 16 September 1982 as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 260th Quartermaster Battalion.

On 9 October 1990, the 260th Quartermaster Battalion deployed in support of Operations Desert Shield and Desert Storm. The Battalion organized into a 1,200-Soldier multifunctional Forward Corps Support Battalion co-locating with the 24th Infantry Division Support Command. The 260th Corps Support Battalion operated as the largest CSB under the 171st Corps Support Group throughout the operation and the largest Battalion in the 1st Corps Support Command.

The Battalion proudly provided life support to the athletes competing in the 1996 Olympic Games in Atlanta. Following that, the Battalion saw the successful deployments to Exercise Roving Sands 1997 and 1999, participation in Exercise Bright Star 1998 and 2000, and the unit's selection as the 1999 Department of the Army Phillip A Connelly Award for Food Service Excellence and the Forces Command winner of the 2002 Phillip A Connelly Award for Food Service Excellence.

In January 2003, the 260th Quartermaster Battalion deployed to Southwest Asia as part of Operation Iraqi Freedom under the 49th Support Group, providing fuel support. The Battalion supported coalition forces by transporting nearly 80 million gallons of fuel and driving more than 9 million miles

In 2005 the 559th Quartermaster Battalion (Water Supply) was inactivated. Personnel were reassigned to both the 87th Combat Sustainment Support Battalion and the 260th Quartermaster Battalion. The 260th Quartermaster Battalion also recieved the 512th Quartermaster Company (Tactical Water Distribution System), the 202nd Quartermaster Detachment (Water), and the 172nd Medical Detachment, all of which were reassigned following the inactivation of the 559th Quartermaster Battalion.

On 29 Aug 2006, HHD, 260th Quartermaster Battalion deployed to Taillil Air Force Base Southeast of Baghdad, Iraq. The 260th provided Command and Control for subordinate units consisting of 1,075 Soldiers. The Battalion trained, synchronize and provide combat logistical patrols throughout the entire region. Additionally the 260th Quartermaster Battaliontrained and supported Iraqi Security Force logistical units.

260th Quartermaster Battalion had over 350 Soldiers deployed in 3 countries in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom. These units included 10th Transportation Company, 110th Quartermaster Company, 172nd Medical Detachment, 258th Movement Control Team, and the 416th Transportation Company. There were elements in either Iraq, Afghanistan, and Kuwait into 2008.




NEWSLETTER
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list



 
Page last modified: 05-07-2011 01:24:40 ZULU