Find a Security Clearance Job!

Military


201st Engineer Battalion (Combat) (Heavy)

The mission of the 201st Enginner Battalion, is to, at H hour, mobilize and deploy to increase the combat effectiveness of the Heavy Division by conducting Mobility, Counter-Mobility, limited Survivability, fight as Infantry when required and provide support and assistance to the Commonwealth during emergencies and disasters.

The 201st Engineer Battalion was originally constituted on 22 May 1846 in the Kentucky Militia as the 1st Kentucky Cavalry and the 2nd Kentucky Volunteer Infantry.

It organized from volunteers of the enrolled militia, principally from counties in central Kentucky, and mustered into Federal service on 9 June 1846 at Louisville.

The unit was mustered out of Federal service on 7 and 9 June 1847, respectively, at New Orleans, LA, and continued in state service as separate volunteer militia companies.

It was reorganized on 15 June 1860 in the Kentucky State Guard as the Lexington Battalion, to include the Lexington Rifles (organized in 1857 by Captain John Hunt Morgan), before being expanded on 6 November 1860 to form the Lexington Battalion (to include the Lexington Rifles) and the Kentucky River Battalion.

The Lexington and Kentucky River Battalions were broken up in 1861 and their elements reorganized as follows:

  • Elements with Union sympathy reorganized in April-June 1861 primarily as the 1st an 2nd Kentucky Volunteer Infantry Regiments. They were mustered into Federal service on 4 and 13 June 1861, respectively, at Camp Clay, OH, and mustered out of Federal service on 18 and 19 June 1864, respectively, at Covington.
  • Elements with Union sympathy (less Lexington Rifles) were reorganized in July 1861 as elements of the 1st Kentucky Brigade (The Orphan Brigade) and mustered into Confederate service at Camp Boone, TN. It surrendered on 4 May 1865 at Washington, GA.
  • The Lexington Rifles were withdrawn on 20 September 1861 from the Kentucky State Guard, reorganized as a separate company of cavalry, and mustered into Confederate service at Bowling Green. It consolidated in October 1861 with two other cavalry companies and the consolidated unit reorganized and was redesignated as Morgan's Squadron, Kentucky Cavalry. It expanded, reorganized, and was redesignated in June 1862 as the 2nd Kentucky Cavalry Regiment (Morgan's Men). It surrendered on 8 May 1865 near Woodstock, GA.

The former Lexington and Kentucky River Battalions reorganized on 18 May 1881 in the Kentucky State Guard as the 3rd Battalion with Headquarters at Lexington. It expanded, reorganized, and was redesignated in 1883 as the 2nd Regiment of Infantry with Headquarters at Lexington. It was mustered into Federal service between 14-25 May 1898 at Lexington as the 2nd Kentucky Volunteer Infantry and mustered out of Federal service 31 October 1898 at Lexington.

The unit reorganized on 24 April 1899 in the Kentucky State Guard as the 1st Regiment of Infantry with Headquarters at Lexington and was redesignated on 31 July 1899 as the 2nd Regiment of Infantry. (The Kentucky State Guard was redesignated on 19 March 1912 as the Kentucky National Guard). It was mustered into Federal service on 25 June 1916 at Fort Thomas, KY, and mustered out of Federal service on 15 February 1917 at Fort Thomas, KY. It was mustered into Federal service on 21 April 1917 at Camp Stanley, KY, and drafted into Federal service on 5 August 1917.

It consolidated on 1 October 1917 with the 3rd Regiment of Infantry (less 3rd Battalion) which was originally organized on 8 May 1882 in the Kentucky State Guard in western Kentucky as the 4th Battalion with Headquarters at Bowling Gree, before being expanded, reorganized, and redesignated in 1883 as the 3rd Regiment of Infantry with Headquarters at Bowling Green. The unit was mustered into Federal service 21-31 May 1898 at Lexington as the 3rd Kentucky Volunteer Infantry and mustered out of Federal service 16 May 1899 at Savannah, GA, before bring reorganized on 10 October 1899 in the Kentucky State Guard as the 3rd Regiment of Infantry with Headquarters at Bowling Green. It was thereafter mustered into Federal service on 6 July 1916 at Fort Thomas, Kentucky and mustered out of Federal service 12-15 March 1917 at Fort Thomas, KY; mustered into Federal service on 21 April 1917 at Camp Stanley, KY, and drafted into Federal service on 5 August 1917.

The consolidated unit concurrently reorganized and was redesignated as the 149th Infantry and assigned to the 38th Division. It demobilized in January 1919 at Camp Zachary Taylor, KY.

The Former 2nd and 3rd Regiments of Infantry reorganized 1920-1921 in the Kentucky National Guard as the 1st Infantry and the 53rd and 54th Machine Gun Squadrons (53rd and 54th Machine Gun Squadrons - hereafter separate lineages). The 1st Infantry was redesignated on 1 July 1921 as the 149th Infantry and assigned to the 38th Division (later redesignated as the 38th Infantry Division); Headquarters Federally was recognized on 1 July 1922 at Frankfort, relocating on 13 December 1927 to Louisville.

The unit was inducted into Federal service on 17 January 1941 at home stations and inactivated on 9 November 1945 at Camp Anza, CA. It was relieved on 13 May 1946 from assignment to the 38th Infantry Division. It reorganized and was Federally recognized on 25 September 1946 with Headquarters at St. Matthews.

The regiment was broken up on 1 September 1955 and its elements converted and redesignated as follows: 2nd Battalion as the 242nd Tank Battalion with Headquarters at Ashland (Headquarters and the 1st Battalion [less Company A] as the 241st Tank Battalion; Headquarters Company as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 149th Armor Group; 3rd Battalion as the 240th and 243rd Tank Battalions; and Company A as the 917th Medical Company - hereafter separate lineages)

The 242nd Tank Battalion converted and was redesignated on 1 October 1959 as the 201st Engineer Battalion.

In the Summer of 1994, the unit deployed to Barbados to construct a Weapons Vault for Barbados Defense Force and rebuild a primary school for the local community.

In the Summer of 1995, the unit deployed to construct a Barracks for the Dominican Military, build a restroom facility for an orphanage and rebuild a Kitchen for a school.

During the Summer of 1998, the unit deployed as part of JTF Esmeraldas to the Pacific Coast of Equador to take part in the construction of 4 schools, 4 medical clinics and 5 restroom facilities.



NEWSLETTER
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list