2nd Squadron, 9th Cavalry Regiment
B Troop, 9th Cavalry Regiment
In late 2007, 2nd Squadron, 9th Cavalry was inactivated and its personnel reflagged as the 4th Squadron, 10th Cavalry. 4-10th Cavalry took up the role as the organic cavalry squadron for 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division.
The mission of the 2nd Squadron, 9th Cavalry was to deploy and conduct sustained reconnaissance and security operations to create and preserve the conditions for 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division to achieve assigned objectives.
On 28 July 1866, the 39th Congress of the United States passed an act to improve the peace establishment of the nation. This act authorized the formation of additional regiments in the US Army, 2 cavalry and 4 infantry. For the first time in the nation's history, these Regular Army regiments were to consist of black enlisted soldiers. The 9th Cavalry was organized on 21 September 1866 at Greenville, Louisiana, a town near New Orleans. Colonel Edward Hatch, a veteran cavalryman and former general officer in the recently concluded Civil War, was selected to be the Regiment's first commander. The 9th Cavalry, along with its sister regiment, the 10th Cavalry, became known as the "Buffalo Soldier" regiments, a title of respect bestowed by the Indians they fought. The 2nd Squadron, 9th Cavalry Regiment traces its lineage to the formation of Company B, 9th Cavalry Regiment.
In the 1870s and the 1880s, the 9th Cavalry as a whole fought with great distinction throughout the western United States in numerous campaigns against marauding American Indians, Mexicans, and lawless settlers. Cavalry companies across the US Army were officially designated as troops in 1883. Company B, 9th Cavalry subsequently became Troop B, 9th Cavalry. The 9th Cavalry was often the only source of security on the frontier and was often at odds with those who would profit from banditry. While most of the 9th Cavalry's actions were against hostile Indians, in 1884 the Regiment also protected the friendly Indian tribes settled in present-day Oklahoma from settlers seeking to steal their land. From these early campaigns, the 9th Cavalry derived a part of its unit insignia: an Indian in breach cloth mounted on a galloping pony and brandishing a rifle in one hand. The 9th Cavalry troopers earned 15 Medals of Honor during the Indian Wars. Most of these medals were earned by noncommissioned officers leading small detachments of soldiers. The Regiment participated in campaigns against the Comanches, Uses, Sioux, and Apaches.
Two months after the battleship Maine sank in Cuban waters, the Regiment, then stationed at Fort Robinson, Nebraska, was alerted for deployment to war. The Regiment departed 4 days later on 60 rail cars destined for Florida to stage for invasion. One of the first units to go ashore, it fought as dismounted infantry alongside Theodore Roosevelt's Roughriders in the gallant charge up Kettle Hill and San Juan Heights. The Regiment's commanding officer, Colonel Hamilton, was killed in action during the attack. It was there that the Regiment derived the rest of its insignia: the 5 bastioned fort patch of the V Corps, to which the 9th Cavalry was assigned. After the fighting ended in Cuba, the regiment was sent to another trouble spot, the Philippines.
During the Insurrection, the 9th Cavalry continued its hard fighting tradition by conducting 3 successful deployments to the Philippines from 1900 to 1916 to fight the rebellious Moro tribesmen and earned the respect of the military governor, General Arthur MacArthur. While most of the Regiment was deployed to the Philippines, several troops remained stationed at the Presidio of San Francisco. In 1903, these troops served as a Guard of Honor to President Theodore Roosevelt. This was the first time black regular cavalrymen served in this capacity. The 9th Cavalry returned to the Philippines in the early 1920s to combat the insurgency there following the Spanish-American War. Troop B was demobilized in the Philippines on 21 September 1921.
During the 1920s and the 1930s, the Regiment patrolled the Mexican border and was assigned to the 3rd Cavalry Division on 1 March 1933. The Regiment was called upon again during World War II. On 10 October 1940, the 9th Cavalry was reassigned to the 2nd Cavalry Division and prepared for overseas deployment. The Regiment trained in the Arkansas Maneuver Area from August to October 1941, then returned to Fort Riley, Kansas. Due to overcrowding at Fort Riley, the Regiment transferred to Fort Clark, Texas in July 1942, where it continued training for combat in Europe. The War Department decided a second cavalry division unnecessary for victory and directed the Division deploy to the Mediterranean theater and inactivate to provide replacements to critical logistical organizations. Accordingly, the Regiment dismounted, embarked at Hampton Roads, Virginia on 31 January 1944, arrived in North Africa on 9 February 1944, and inactivated on 7 March 1944 at Assi-Ben Okba, Algeria. The Regiment's soldiers were transferred to support units. The unit was formally disbanded after the Second World War on 20 October 1950.
B Troop, 9th Cavalry Regiment, was reactivated as the Brigade Reconnaissance Troop for 3rd Brigade, 4th Infantry Division (Mechanized) on 25 June 1999. This activation was part of the Force XXI force structure. The unit was known as the "Bloody Knife" Troop, named after the Indian Scout, Bloody Knife who served under General Custer during the Indian Wars.
As of January 2006 the 2nd Squadron 9th Cavalry Regiment of 3rd Brigade, 4th Infantry Division, was participating in Operation Iraqi Freedom as part of the larger Task Force Band of Brothers which was led by 101st Airborne Division commanding general, Maj. Gen. Thomas Turner. The 3rd Brigade's mission included training the Iraqi Security Forces, assisting in the rebuilding of the Diyala Province infrastructure as well as continuing to root out the anti-Iraqi forces that inhabit the region.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|