2nd Battalion, 4th Field Artillery Regiment
The mission of the 2nd Battalion, 4th Field Artillery Regiment, "Deep Attack," is to trains for full spectrum operations and, on order, deploy to an area of operations to provide field artillery rocket fires in support of maneuver forces.
The 4th Field Artillery Regiment was one of the oldest of the Army's Field Artillery Regiments, having been organized on 25 June 1907 at Vancouver Barracks, Washington. The batteries of the US Field Artillery, which were drawn upon to form the Regiment, had been in existence before the turn of the century, and had participated in the Indian Wars, the Mexican-American War, the American Civil War, the Spanish-American War, and the Philippine Insurrection. The 2nd Battalion, 4th Field Artillery began as 28th Battery, Field Artillery, Artillery Corps, which was first constituted on 2 February 1901 in the Regular Army. It was activated on 11 October 1901 at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, and subsequently reorganized and redesignated as Battery B, 4th Field Artillery (Mountain) on 13 June 1907.
It was from actions during the Philippine Insurrection that the 4th Field Artillery derived its Distinctive Unit Insignia. Battery B fought all day long during the Battle of Jolo Jolo under the blazing sun while in a sea of blood. This was represented by the red field with its yellow surrounding. The Moro tribesmen being fought by the battery carried distinctive shields and wavy-bladed knives called the Kris, while the US troops carried the new bolo machete. Both the shields and knives were represented in the insignia.
On 18 March 1916, Battery B, along with batteries A and C, crossed the Mexican border under General John J. "Blackjack" Pershing as part of the Mexican Punitive Expedition. After numerous operations, the 4th Field Artillery returned to the United States on 2 February 1917, having accomplished all missions.
Battery B did not deploy to Europe for participation in World War I. Instead, it was held in reserve stateside with the remainder of the Regiment, where it underwent intensive training in Mississippi and Texas. During this period, Colonel Snow, later to become Chief of the Field Artillery and founder of the Field Artillery Association, commanded the 4th Field Artillery. The period between World Wars saw Battery B go through a series of activations and inactivations.
The Battery was again activated on 1 June 1940 at Fort Bragg, North Carolina. After participating in the extensive Carolina Maneuvers of 1941, Battery B returned to Fort Bragg, only 4 days before the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor. Deployment to the Pacific Theater of Operations ensued, with the 4th Field Artillery as a whole serving primarily as security forces. The extensive pack experience of the Regiment's personnel was drawn upon many times during the war. The 4th Field Artillery provided cadre for the training of all 14 pack artillery battalion created during the war. The Regiment was inactivated in the Philippines on 10 December 1946.
The unit was reactivated at Camp Carson, Colorado (later Fort Carson) on 30 June 1947, and the 4th Field Artillery was again supplied with its pack howitzers. These days were numbered, however, as the unit was inactivated on 25 June 1958, at Fort Sill, Oklahoma. The 4th Field Artillery was the last unit in the Army to have mules on its Table of Organization and Equipment.
On 26 June 1958, Battery B was consolidated with Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 2nd Howitzer Battalion, 4th Field Artillery (Active), which had been first organized in 1847. The consolidated unit was designated as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 2nd Howitzer Battalion, 4th Field Artillery, an element of the 9th Infantry Division. The Battalion was later inactivated on 31 January 1962 at Fort Carson, Colorado.
With the build-up for Vietnam, elements of the 4 battalions of the 4th Field Artillery were reactivated. The 2nd Battalion was reactivated on 1 February 1966, and served with distinction in Vietnam as a 105mm towed unit from 1966 until 1970. Its soldiers earned the Valorous Unit Award, 4 Republic of Vietnam Crosses of Gallantry with Palm, and 2 Republic of Vietnam Civil Action Honor Medals, First Clas. A Medal of Honor was received by Private First Class (later Sergeant) Sammy Davis. The Battalion was inactivated at Fort Lewis, Washington on 13 October 1970, after returning from service in Vietnam.
The Battalion was redesignated as the 2nd Battalion, 4th Field Artillery on 1 September 1971 and was reactivated on 21 October 1972 at Fort Lewis, Washington. On 2 October 1986 it was inactivated at Fort Lewis, Washington and relieved from assignment to the 9th Infantry Division. It was reactivated at Fort Sill, Oklahoma on 16 June 1996 as the 2nd Battalion, 4th Field Artillery, equipped with the M270 MLRS.
During 2000, 2-4th Field Artillery deployed elements to the National Training Center at Fort Irwin, California in support of the 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 1st Armored Division from Fort Riley, Kansas. In August 2000, 2-4th Field Artillery deployed A Battery and a force Field Artillery headquarters to Kuwait in support of Operation Desert Spring.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|