2nd Battalion (Air Assault), 44th Air Defense Artillery Regiment
The 2nd Battalion (Air Assault), 44th Air Defense Artillery Regiment was first constituted on 2 August 1901 in the Regular Army as the 101st Company, Coast Artillery, Artillery Corps. It was organized in August 1901 at Fort Totten, New York. The Company was redesignated on 2 February 1907 as the 101st Company, Coast Artillery Corps.
The Company was reorganized and redesignated on 30 June 1916 as the 2nd Company, Fort Totten, New York. It was reorganized and redesignated on 22 July 1917 as Battery G, 7th Provisional Regiment, Coast Artillery Corps, on 5 February 1918 as Battery G, 52d Artillery (Coast Artillery Corps), on 26 March 1918 as the 3rd Battery, Howitzer Regiment, 30th Brigade, Coast Artillery Corps, and on 7 August 1918 as Battery A, 44th Artillery (Coast Artillery Corps). The unit deployed to Europe for World War I and participated in 5 campaigns: Champagne-Marne, St. Mihiel, Lorraine 1918, Alsace 1918, and Champagne 1918. After returing from Europe, the Battery was inactivated on 31 August 1921 at Camp Jackson, South Carolina.
While inactive, the Battery recieved an additional designation on 1 June 1922, as the 101st Company, Coast Artillery Corps. This additional designation was abolished on 1 July 1924. The Battery was redesignated on 1 July 1924 as Battery A, 44th Coast Artillery.
The Battery was redesignated on 13 January 1941 as Battery A, 54th Coast Artillery and activated pm 10 February 1941 at Camp Wallace, Texas. The Battery was reorganized and redesignated on 5 June 1944 as Battery A, 606th Coast Artillery Battalion. It was disbanded on 3 August 1944 at Camp Livingston, Louisiana.
The Battery was reconstituted on 28 June 1950 in the Regular Army and concurrently consolidated with Battery A, 54th Armored Field Artillery Battalion (active). Battery A, 54th Armored Field Artillery Battalion was first constituted on 1 October 1933 in the Regular Army as Battery A, 54th Field Artillery. The Battery was redesignated on 13 January 1941 as Battery A, 54th Field Artillery Battalion, an element of the 3d Armored Division and activated on 15 April 1941 at Camp Beauregard, Louisiana. The Battery was reorganized and redesignated 1 January 1942 as Battery A, 54th Armored Field Artillery Battalion. It was inactivated on 10 November 1945 in Germany and reactivated on 15 July 1947 at Fort Knox, Kentucky, before being consolidated with Battery A, 606th Coast Artillery Battalion. The consolidated unit designated as Battery A, 54th Armored Field Artillery Battalion, an element of the 3rd Armored Division. The combined honors of the 2 units included participation credit for 10 campaigns during the Second World War: Normandy, Northern France, Rhineland, Ardennes-Alsace, Central Europe, Aleutian Islands (streamer with arrowhead indicating participation in the initial assault), Northern Solomons, Eastern Mandates, Leyte, and Ryukyus.
The unit subsequently deployed to Korea and participated in 10 campaigns of the Korean War: UN Defensive, UN Offensive, CCF Intervention, First UN Counteroffensive, CCF Spring Offensive, UN Summer-Fall Offensive, Second Korean Winter, Korea Summer-Fall 1952, Third Korean Winter, and Korea, Summer 1953.
The Battery was inactivated on 1 October 1957 in Germany and relieved from assignment to the 3d Armored Division. It was redesignated on 21 March 1958 as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 2nd Automatic Weapons Battalion, 44th Artillery, and activated at Fort Lewis, Washington, with its organic elements concurrently constituted and activated. The Battalion was inactivated 26 July 1960 at Fort Lewis, Washington
The Battalion was redesignated on 30 March 1962 as the 2nd Battalion, 44th Artillery and activated on 22 June 1962 at Fort Sill, Oklahoma. The Battalion was inactivated on 1 September 1971 at Fort Sill, Oklahoma and concurrently redesignated as the 2nd Battalion, 44th Air Defense Artillery.
The Battalion was activated on 13 September 1972 in Korea and inactivated on 30 September 1977 in Korea.
2-44th Air Defense Artillery was assigned 16 March 1988 to the 101st Airborne Division and activated at Fort Campbell, Kentucky, becoming an air assault air defense artillery battalion. It was relieved on 16 October 2004 from assignment to the 101st Airborne Division as part of the transformation of the US Army and the 101st Airborne Division to the modular force structure.
The Battalion was redesignated on 1 October 2005 as the 2nd Battalion, 44th Air Defense Artillery Regiment. In June 2006, as part of the modular transformation of XVIII Corps, Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 108th Air Defense Artillery Brigade moved from Fort Bliss, Texas to Fort Bragg, North Carolina, becoming the controlling unit for all Air Defense elements within XVIII Corps. The 2nd Battalion, 44th Air Defense Artillery Regiment remained at Fort Campbell, Kentucky, but was assigned to the Brigade. While in garrison, however, it fell under the administrative control of the 101st Sustainment Brigade. The unit was placed on the list of units slated to be inactivated in 2006.
Thought the plan had been to inactivate the unit in September 2011, this had been pushed back by 2010 to some time in 2017. In July 2010, the Battalion deployed to Afghanistan in support of the NATO-led International Stabilization and Assistance Force (ISAF), with the mission of training and mentoring Afghan National Army and Police elements.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|