The Largest Security-Cleared Career Network for Defense and Intelligence Jobs - JOIN NOW

Military


2nd Battalion (Airborne), 377th Field Artillery Regiment
"Spartan Steel"

The mission of the 2nd Battalion (Airborne), 377th Field Artillery Regiment is to reset and retrain the Battalion in order to build lethal sections and platoons prepared for combat operations, serviceable equipment ready for deployment, and strong paratroopers and families able to endure a lengthy deployment.

The 2nd Battalion (Airborne), 377th Field Artillery Regiment was first constituted on 24 June 1921 in the Organized Reserves as Battery B, 377th Field Artillery, an element of the 101st Division (later redesignated as the 101st Airborne Division). It was organized in November 1921 at Green Bay, Wisconsin.

The unit was reorganized and redesignated on 30 January 1942 as Battery B, 377th Field Artillery Battalion. It was redesignated on 15 August 1942 as Battery B, 377th Parachute Field Artillery Battalion. At that time it was also inactivated, withdrawn from the Organized Reserves, and allotted to the Army of the United States. It was subsequently activated on 16 August 1942 at Camp Claiborne, Louisiana.

The 377th Parachute Field Artillery Battalion as a whole conducted combat jumps into St. Martin-de-Varreville, France, in the initial assault on the northern coast of Normandy with the 101st Airborne Division, and also into Nijmegen, Holland, as part of Operation Market Garden. In addition to these 2 combat jumps, the 377th Parachute Field Artillery Battalion defended Bastogne, Belgium against heavy German attacks during the Battle of the Bulge.

After the Second World War the unit was inactivated on 30 November 1945 in France. While inactive, the unit was redesignated on 18 June 1948 as Battery B, 515th Airborne Field Artillery Battalion and allotted on 25 June 1948 to the Regular Army. The unit was activated on 6 July 1948 at Camp Breckinridge, Kentucky. The unit was inactivated on 15 April 1949 at Camp Breckinridge, Kentucky.

It was reactivated on 25 August 1950 at Camp Breckinridge, Kentucky before being inactivated on 1 December 1953 at Camp Breckinridge, Kentucky. It was activated again on 15 May 1954 at Fort Jackson, South Carolina. It was redesignated on 1 July 1956 as Battery B, 377th Airborne Field Artillery Battalion before being inactivated on 25 April 1957 at Fort Campbell, Kentucky. At that time it was relieved from assignment to the 101st Airborne Division.

The unit was redesignated on 19 July 1957 as Battery B, 377th Artillery and assigned on 1 September 1957 to the 82d Airborne Division. It was concurrently activated at Fort Bragg, North Carolina. It was inactivated on 8 July 1965 at Fort Bragg, North Carolina and then redesignated on 1 September 1971 as Battery B, 377th Field Artillery. The unit was relieved on 1 April 1974 from assignment to the 82nd Airborne Division. It was concurrently redesignated as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 2nd Battalion, 377th Artillery, and activated in Germany with its organic elements concurrently constituted and activated. It was inactivated on 16 July 1987 in Germany.

On 15 October 2003, the unit was redesignated as Battery B, 377th Field Artillery. It was activated on 16 December 2003 at Forward Operation Base Salerno, Afghanistan. The unit was redesignated on 1 October 2005 as Battery B, 377th Field Artillery Regiment.

The unit was redesignated on 16 November 2005 as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 2nd Battalion, 377th Field Artillery Regiment and assigned to the 4th Brigade Combat Team, 25th Infantry Division with its organic elements concurrently activated. The 2nd Battalion, 377th Field Artillery Regiment was the final of 7 units to be activated in the 4th Airborne Brigade Combat Team, 25th Infantry Division. The unit's beret flash had been approved on 27 April 2004. It was redesignated for the 2nd Battalion, 377th Field Artillery Regiment on 9 June 2005.

An member of the 377th Parachute Field Artillery Battalion, from the unit's combat action in World War II was on hand 16 November 2005 to see 2nd Battalion, 377th Field Artillery Regiment return to the Army's active rolls. In attendance at the activation ceremony for the "Spartan Steel" Battalion was William Priest, who served as a cannoneer and a machine gunner in the 377th Parachute Field Artillery Regiment in World War II.




NEWSLETTER
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list


One Billion Americans: The Case for Thinking Bigger - by Matthew Yglesias


 
Page last modified: 05-07-2011 01:23:26 ZULU