2nd Squadron, 14th Cavalry Regiment
The 14th Cavalry Regiment was first constituted in the regular army on 2 February 1901 and organized at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, on 19 February 1901. The 2nd Squadron was assigned to Fort Logan, Colorado, with 2 troops sent to Fort Wingate, New Mexico.
The 14th Cavalry Regiment was baptized by fire in 1903 in the insurgency campaigns of the Philippines. 2nd Squadron was stationed at Camp Overton, Mindanao. Troop F was commended for excellent service at the Marahui. Upon successful completion of that campaign in 1906, the Regiment then returned home to the United States and took up garrisons in the Pacific Northwest, where it assumed peacetime duties. The Regiment was again called back to the Philippines in 1909 to increase US presence and provide stability to the region.
In 1912, the Regiment was called for service in the Mexican campaign, joining General "Black Jack" Pershing's expeditionary forces in the summer of 1916, chasing bandits throughout the dust and heat of the Mexican plains. The Regiment returned to Fort Clark and Fort McIntosh, Texas, where it began the task of patrolling the Mexican border until 1918, when it was called into service in Europe. The Armistice at Versailles was signed before the Regiment could cross the Atlantic, and the Regiment resumed its' border patrol mission.
In 1920, the 14th Cavalry moved to Fort Des Moines, Iowa and for approximately the next 2 decades served in a peacetime capacity. In 1942, the Regiment was inactivated, and from its' lineage came the 14th Armored Cavalry Group. On 28 August 1944, the 14th Armored Cavalry Group sailed for Europe, where it landed on Omaha Beach on 30 September 1944, and pressed east. On 18 October 1944, the unit was split with the 18th Cavalry Squadron attached to the 2nd Infantry Division, and the 32nd Cavalry Squadron attached to the 83rd Infantry Division.
On 12 December 1944, the headquarters element regained its autonomy, and began guarding the Losheim Gap in Belgium. Then, on 16 December 1944, its turrets rang in anger as the 14th Armored Cavalry Group received the full brunt of the German winter counter-offensive in the "Battle of the Bulge." After 2 days of savage fighting, the unit reassembled at Vielsam, Belgium and was attached to the 7th Armored Division. On 25 December 1944, the unit was reequipped, attached to the XVIII Airborne Corps, and attacked back into the "Bulge" to destroy the Nazi's final major offensive.
After intense combat in the Ardennes, the Regiment was assigned to the Third US Army, and attacked all the way to the Austrian border before the war ended. After the surrender of Nazi Germany, the Regiment was redesignated as the 14th Constabulary Regiment in the US Army of Occupation. At the onset of the Cold War, the Regiment was redesignated the 14th Armored Cavalry Regiment in 1948, and served on the German border, guarding freedom's frontier at the Fulda Gap, until the colors were cased in 1972.
On 16 May 2002, 2nd Squadron, 14th Cavalry returned to active service as the 'eyes and ears' of 1st Stryker Brigade Combat Team, 25th Infantry Division (Light). Replacing the 1st Battalion, 33rd Armor, the 2nd Squadron, 14th Cavalry Regiment was activated at Fort Lewis, Washington as a reconnaissance, surveillance and target acquisition (RSTA) squadron composed of 3 reconnaissance troops and a surveillance troop. The reconnaissance troops had 3 reconnaissance platoons and a mortar section. The surveillance troop included a UAV (drone) platoon, an NBC recon platoon and a number of other sensor systems. The new squadron was part of the Interim Brigade Combat Team (IBCT) that had been formed at Fort Lewis, Washington in a move to produce a more deployable force. These new modular brigade combat teams became the basis for modular brigade combat teams across the US Army.
The transformation called for the trade-in of M3 Bradley Cavalry Fighting Vehicles and M1A1 Abrams main battle tanks for a lighter, more mobile system capable of being loaded on a C-130 "Hercules" airplane. The Army plans to equip the BCTs included the Interim Armored Vehicle (later named the Stryker), which would be comprised of at least 2 classes of vehicle, a Mobile Gun System and an Infantry Carrier Vehicle. The Infantry Carrier Vehicle would be the center of gravity for the Initial Brigade Combat Teams. The Infantry Carrier Vehicles would be able to carry a squad of 9 soldiers and their gear. They would also be accompanied by another vehicle, the Mobile Gun System.
1st Squadron, assigned to 3rd Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division deployed in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom 2, and was relieved by 2nd Squadron, 14th Cavalry, which was assigned to 1st Brigade, 25th Infantry Division.
In 2006, 2nd Squadron, 14th Cavalry was inactivated and its personne reflagged as 5th Squadron, 1st Cavalry as part of the movement of the 1st Stryker Brigade Combat Team, 25th Infantry Division from Fort Lewis, Washington to Fort Wainwright, Alaska. 5th Squadron, 14th Cavalry, assigned to the 2nd Stryker Brigade Combat Team, 25th Infantry Division at Schofield Barracks, Hawaii, was subsequently inactivated and reflagged as the 2nd Squadron, 14th Cavalry.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|