The Largest Security-Cleared Career Network for Defense and Intelligence Jobs - JOIN NOW

Military


2nd Battalion, 12th Field Artillery Regiment

The 2nd Battalion, 12th Field Artillery Regiment was first constituted on 1 July 1916 in the Regular Army as Battery B, 12th Field Artillery. It was organized on 7 June 1917 at Fort Myer, Virginia, as an element of the 2d Division (later redesignated as the 2d Infantry Division).

The unit was reorganized and redesignated on 1 October 1940 as Battery B, 12th Field Artillery Battalion and inactivated on 15 October 1948 at Fort Lewis, Washington.

The unit was consolidated on 10 November 1951 with Battery B, 503rd Field Artillery Battalion (active), and the consolidated unit was designated as Battery B, 12th Field Artillery Battalion. Battery B, 503rd Field Artillery Battalion had originally been organized on 25 October 1917 in the National Army at Camp George G. Meade, Maryland, as Battery B, 2nd Provisional Regiment (Field Artillery). It had been redesignated on 27 October 1917 as Battery B, 351st Field Artillery, an element of the 92d Division and demobilized on 6 March 1919 at Camp George G. Meade, Maryland. It was reconstituted on 5 June 1930 in the Organized Reserves as Battery B, 351st Field Artillery before being withdrawn on 16 December 1940 from the Organized Reserves and allotted to the Regular Army. It was activated on 10 February 1941 at Camp Livingston, Louisiana. Battery B, 351st Field Artillery was reorganized and redesignated on 1 April 1943 as Battery B, 351st Field Artillery Battalion and inactivated on 10 April 1946 at Camp Kilmer, New Jersey. It was redesignated on 5 February 1947 as Battery B, 503d Field Artillery Battalion, with the 503rd Field Artillery Battalion assigned on 18 December 1947 to the 2d Infantry Division. The unit was activated on 27 December 1947 at Fort Lewis, Washington before being consolidationed with Battery B, 12th Field Artillery Battalion in 1951.

Battery B, 12th Field Artillery Battalion was inactivated on 20 June 1957 at Fort Lewis, Washington, and relieved from assignment to the 2nd Infantry Division. It was concurrently, redesignated as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 2nd Battalion, 12th Artillery. It was redesignated on 1 May 1960 as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 2nd Howitzer Battalion, 12th Artillery, assigned to the 8th Infantry Division, and activated in Germany with its organic elements concurrently constituted and activated. The Battalion was inactivated on 1 April 1963 in Germany and relieved from assignment to the 8th Infantry Division.

The unit was redesignated on 13 September 1969 as the 2nd Battalion, 12th Artillery, and activated in Vietnam. It was inactivated on 29 August 1971 at Fort Lewis, Washington.

The unit was redesignated on 1 September 1971 as the 2nd Battalion, 12th Field Artillery and activated on 1 April 1976 at Fort Sill, Oklahoma. It was again inactivated on 15 September 1984 at Fort Sill, Oklahoma. The unit was reactivated on 16 July 1987 in Germany serving there until it was inactivated on 15 April 1992 in Germany.

The unit was redesignated on 1 October 2005 as the 2nd Battalion, 12th Field Artillery Regiment. It was assigned on 1 June 2006 to the 4th Brigade Combat Team, 2nd Infantry Division, and activated at Fort Lewis, Washington. This was part of the activation of the entire 4th Brigade Combat Team, part of the transformation of the 2nd Infantry Division as a whole to the US Army's new modular force structure. Modular brigade combat teams each had an organic field artillery battalion, an element previous held at division level and attached only during operations.




NEWSLETTER
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list


One Billion Americans: The Case for Thinking Bigger - by Matthew Yglesias


 
Page last modified: 05-07-2011 01:22:44 ZULU