2nd Battalion - 124th Infantry Regiment
The 2nd Battalion, 124th Infantry Regiment, was originally organized between 1884-1892 in the Florida State Troops from new and existing companies as the 1st, 2nd,3rd,4th, and 5th Battalions of Infantry with Headquarters at Jacksonville, Ocala, Pensacola, Gainesville, and Arcadia, respectively. The battalions consolidated, reorganized, and were mustered into Federal service betweeen 20-25 May 1898 at Tampa as the 1st Florida volunteer Infantry; eight companies mustered out on 3 December 1898 at Tampa and 4 companies mustered out on 27 January 1899 at Huntsville, AL.
Expanded and reorganized on 17-18 August 1899 in the Florida State Troops as the 1st and 2nd Regiments on Infantry (the Florida State Troops were redesignated in 1909 as the Florida National Guard), the 2nd Regiment of Infantry was mustered into Federal service in June 1916 and mustered out of Federal service in March 1917. The 1st and 2nd Regiments of Infantry were drafted into Federal service on 5 August 1917 at Jacksonville and Wauchula, respectively. The units consolidated, reorganized, and were redesignated on 1 October 1917 at the 124th Infantry and assigned to the 31st Division. It demobilized on 14 January 1919 at Camp Gordon, GA.
Reconstituted and reorganized in 1920-1921 in the Florida National Guard as the 1st Infantry; its Headquarters was Federally recognized on 4 June 1921 at Jacksonville. It was redesignated on 19 December 1921 as the 154th Infantry and assigned to the 39th Division. It was redesignated on 1 July 1923 as the 124th Infantry; and was concurrently relieved from assignment to the 39th Division and assigned to the 31st Division.
Inducted into Federal service on 25 November 1940 at home station, it was relieved on 15 December 1941 from assignment to the 31st Division. It inactivated on 2 March 1944 at Fort Jackson, SC.
It was assigned on 5 April 1944 to the 31st Infantry Division and activated in Australia with personnel from the 154th Infantry (which was constituted and activated in 1942 in the Army of the United States). It inactivated on 16 December 1945 at Camp Stoneman, CA.
Reorganized and Federally recognized on 15 February 1946 with Headquarters at Jacksonville, it was relieved on 13 June 1946 form assignment to the 31st Infantry Division. It was reassigned on 5 July 1946 to the 48th Infantry Division.
The Regiment was broken up on 1 November 1955 and its elements reorganized and redesignated as follows:
- Headquarters and 1st Battalion as the 124th Armored Infantry Battalion and assigned to the 48th Armored Division.
- 3rd Battalion as the 154th Armored Infantry Battalion and assigned to the 48th Armored Divsion.
The 124th and 154th Armored Infantry Battalions were consolidated on 15 April 1959 to form the 124th Infantry, a parent regiment under the Combat Arms Regimental System, to consist of the 1st and 2nd Armored Rifle Battalions, elements of the 48th Armored Division.
It was reorganized on 15 February 1963 to consist of the 1st and 2nd Battalions, elements of the 53rd Separate Infantry Brigade; on 1 March 1964 to consist of the 1st Battalion and the 2nd Battalion, an element of the 53rd Infantry Brigade; and on 20 January 1968 to consist of the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Battalions, elements of the 53rd Infantry Brigade.
It was withdrawn on 1 May 1989 from the Combat Arms Regimental System and reorganized under the United States Army Regimental System with Headquarters in Miami.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|