UNITED24 - Make a charitable donation in support of Ukraine!

Military


2nd Battalion - 112th Infantry Regiment (Mechanized)

The 2nd Battalion, 112th Infantry was formed from units of the 104th Armored Cavalry on 01 April 1975.

The 112th Infantry Regiment was formed and officially designated as the 16th Infantry from units or the 13th, 15th, and 17th Regiments on 22 November 1878. The regiment however, was allowed to fly Civil War Battle Streamers earned by its earliest units in 1861-1864.

The 112th Infantry has participated in five tours of active Federal Service, having previously seen service in the Spanish-American War, the Mexican Border Campaign, World War I, World War II, and the Korean Conflict. Company L, of the old 112th Infantry Regiment held battle streamers for ten Civil War campaigns. In the lull between three tours of Federal Service, the regiment maintained extensive armory and field training exercises as National Guard units. In this capacity, it finds justification for its motto: STRIVE * OBEY * ENDURE.

At the outbreak of the Spanish-American War, the regiment was mustered into Federal Service on 10 May 1898. After training in Georgia, the regiment sailed for Puerto Rico in July of that same year, serving with the 1st Infantry Division throughout the campaign. It was mustered out of Federal Service in December 1898 and reorganized as the 16th Infantry early the next year. Again of 03 July 1916, the regiment was called to Federal Service for Mexican Border duty and after a period of training at El Paso, Texas, returned north and was mustered out in January 1917. In that same year, the 16th Infantry joined with part of the 8th Infantry to form the 112th Infantry Regiment, 28th Infantry Division after receiving its third call to Federal Service. The regiment reached France in May 1918 after training in the United States. It went into the line on 04 July 1918 in the Second Battle of the Marne at Hill 204, near CHATEAUTHIERRY, and suffered its first casualties. From that day on the names of FISMES, FISMETTE, FOND de MEZIERES, and ARGONNE will never be forgotten. Companies G and H lost 200 men out of 230 when cut off at FISHMETTE and attacked on the front and flanks by a thousand German soldiers. From early fighting along the Marne, to the last days north of THIAUCOURT, the total battle casualties of the regiment were 2,160 officers and men.

The 112th Infantry Regiment returned to the United States in April 1919 and was mustered out of Federal Service the following month. In October 1919 the regiment was reorganized as the 16th Infantry and redesignated as the 112th Infantry again in 1921.

The regiment was called to Federal Service again on 17 February 1941, and moved to Indiantown Gap for training. Landing on the Normandy Beachhead and fighting with other units of the 28th Infantry Division in July 1944, the 112th Regimental Combat Team plowed through the countries of France and Germany, participating in the capture of Paris and bitter fighting in the HURTGEN FOREST. In December 1944, the 112th Regimental Combat Team was holding 6 miles of front line sector when the enemy threw nine full divisions against it. Recoiling under the onslaught, the Combat Team held its ground and managed to inflict 1,600 casualties on the enemy and destroy 18 tanks. Everyone was put into the line; cooks, clerks and personnel men, all fighting under a barrage of withering small arms fire and infiltrating German Storm Troopers. On the night of 17 December 1944, the Combat Team withdrew under orders to the high ground west of the OUR River. Until Christmas Eve the 112th Regimental Combat Team was engaged in the continuous rear guard action, covering the right flank of the 1st American Army. For its heroic action in nine days of continuous fighting, the 112th Regimental Combat Team was awarded the Presidential Unit Citation for the part it played in the now famous "BATTLE OF THE BULGE."

The fifth tour of Federal Service for the Regiment began in September 1950 at Camp Atterbury, Indiana, with the 28th Infantry Division. After extensive training and maneuvers at Fort Bragg, North Carolina in "OPERATION SOUTHERN PINES", it sailed for Europe in November 1951 to serve as part of the NATO forces. The regiment was reorganized on 28 July 1953.

A story in the Centre Daily Times reported on July 20, 2003 that nearly two thirds of the 600-700 strong battalion were deployed to Kosovo supporting peacekeeping operations.



NEWSLETTER
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list



 
Page last modified: 05-07-2011 01:22:36 ZULU