2nd Battalion, 102nd Armor
The 2nd Battalion, 102nd Armor has its headquarters in Port Murray,Warren County, New Jersey with units in Newton, West Orange, Hackettstown,and Somerset. The 2-102 Armor has five armor companies, all equipped with the M-1 Abrams Battle Tank, and a headquarters company. Like the mechanized infantry, the armor battalion has scouts, medics, mortars, maintenance,and support sections. It is the descendent of the famous "Essex Troop"of New Jersey Cavalry.
The 102d Armor was organized 29 May 1913 in the New Jersey National Guard as the 1st Cavalry Squadron with Headquarters at Newark to include the following troops: Troop A (organized 3 June 1890 as the Essex Troop of Light Cavalry at Newark); Troop B (organized 24 April 1895 as the Monmouth Troop); Troop C (organized 29 May 1913 at Newark); Troop D (organized 27 August 1914 at Plainfield). 1st Cavalry Squadron mustered into federal service 21 June 1916 at Sea Girt for service on the Mexican border; mustered out 21 October 1916 at Newark. Mustered into Federal service 28 July 1917 at Sea Girt; drafted into Federal service 5 August 1917. The Squadron was broken up on 15 September 1917 and its elements reorganized and redesignated as follows: Squadron (less Troops B and D) as the 104th Train Headquarters and Military Police, an element of the 29th Division; Troops B and D consolidated to form Battery F, 110th Field Artillery of the 29th Division.
After 15 September 1917, the above units underwent changes as follows: 104th Train Headquarters and Military Police (less Company B) redesignated 1 November 1918 as the 29th Military Police Company. Demobilized 30 May 1919 at Camp Dix, New Jersey. Company B, 104th Train Headquarters and Military Police, redesignated 29 October 1918 as Company C, First Army Military Police Battalion. Redesignated 15 March 1919 as the 216th Company, Military Police Corps. Demobilized 14 July 1919 at Camp Dodge, Iowa. Battery F, 110th Field Artillery, redesignated 27 November 1917 as Battery F, 112th Field Artillery. Demobilized 31 May 1919 at Camp Dix, New Jersey.
1st Cavalry Squadron reorganized during 1919-1920 in the New Jersey National Guard; Headquarters Federally recognized 29 September 1920 at Newark. Reorganized and expanded 1 March 1921 to form the 1st Cavalry. Redesignated 17 August 1921 as the 102d Cavalry. Assigned in June 1937 to the 21st Cavalry Division. Reorganized 16 November 1940 as the 102d Cavalry (Horse-Mechanized) and relieved from assignment to the 21st Cavalry Division. Inducted into Federal service 6 January 1941 at Newark. Reorganized 6 April 1942 as the 102d Cavalry (Mechanized): Regiment broken up 30 November 1943 - 2 January 1944 and its elements reorganized and redesignated as follows: 2d Squadron on 30 November 1943 as the 117th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron, Mechanized (Headquarters and Headquarters Troop on 2 January 1944 as Headquarters and Headquarters Troop, 102d Cavalry Group, Mechanized; 1st Squadron on 2 January 1944 as the 102d Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron, Mechanized-hereafter separate lineages).
117th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron, Mechanized, inactivated 25 November 1945 in Germany. Reorganized and Federally recognized 20 November 1946 as the 117th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron at West Orange. Reorganized and redesignated 1 November 1949 as the 2d Battalion, 102d Armored Cavalry.
Consolidated 1 February 1968 with the 6th Battalion, 50th Armor; consolidated unit reorganized and redesignated as the 102d Armor, a parent regiment under the Combat Arms Regimental System, to consist of the 1st and 2d Battalions.
The 6th Battalion, 50th Armor was Organized and Federally recognized 13 February 1951 in the New Jersey National Guard as the 3rd Battalion, 102d Armored Cavalry, with Headquarters at Phillipsburg. Converted and redesignated 1 May 1954 as the 250th Tank Battalion. Reorganized and redesignated 1 March 1959 as the 2nd Medium Tank Battalion, 53rd Armor. Redesignated 31 January 1963 as the 2nd Battalion, 53rd Armor. Redesignated 15 April 1964 as the 6th Battalion, 50th Armor.
During its 1998 annual training, 27 of 29 crews of the 2nd Battalion, 102nd Armor, qualified on the Live Fire Tank Range.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|