Find a Security Clearance Job!

Military


198th Military Police Battalion

The 198th Military Police Battalion was originally organized and Federally recognized on 30 January 1914 in the Kentucky National Guard at Richmond as Company M, 1st Infantry. It was mustered into Federal service on 25 June 1916 at Fort Thomas, KY; and drafted into Federal service pm 5 August 1917. It was converted and redesignated on 15 October 1917 as Company G, 113th Ammunition Train, an element of the 38th Division. It demobilized on 8 January 1919 at Camp Zachary Taylor, KY.

Reorganized and Federally recognized on 10 May 1922 in the Kentucky National Guard at Louisville as Headquarters Detachment and Combat Train, 2d Battalion, 138th Field Artillery, an element of the 38th Division, the unit was reorganized and redesignated on 9 September 1925 as Headquarters Battery and Combat Train, 2d Battalion, 138th Field Artillery; and on 1 July 1940 as Headquarters Battery, 2d Battalion, 138th Field Artillery. It was inducted into Federal service on 17 January 1941 at Louisville.

It was again reorganized and redesignated on 1 March 1942 as Headquarters Battery, 198th Field Artillery Battalion, and relieved from assignment to the 38th Division. It inactivated on 21 January 1946 at Camp Anza, CA.

Reorganized and Federally recognized on 4 November 1947 at Louisville, it was ordered into active Federal service on 1 May 1951 at Louisville (Headquarters Battery, 198th Field Artillery Battalion [NGUS], was organized and Federally recognized on 1 May 1953 at Louisville). It was released on 2 December 1954 from active Federal service and reverted to state control; Federal recognition was concurrently withdrawn from Headquarters Battery, 198th Field Artillery Battalion (NGUS).

The unit was reorganized and redesignated on 1 October 1959 as Headquarters Battery, 2d Howitzer Battalion, 138th Artillery; and on 1 May 1968 as Headquarters Battery, 2d Battalion, 138th Artillery. It was ordered into active Federal service on 13 May 1968 at Louisville; and released on 24 October 1969 from active Federal service and reverted to state control. It was redesignated on 1 March 1972 as Headquarters Battery, 2d Battalion, 138th Field Artillery; and on 1 August 1972 as Headquarters Battery, 5th Battalion, 138th Field Artillery. It converted and was redesignated on 1 May 1974 as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 198th Military Police Battalion.

The unit was ordered into active Federal service on 8 August 1980 at Louisville; and released 22 August 1980 from active Federal service and reverted to state control. It consolidated on 30 September 1990 with the 223rd Military Police Company (organized in 1878 at Louisville) and the consolidated unit was designated as the 223rd Military Police Company. It was ordered into active Federal service on 3 January 1991 at Louisville; and released on 25 May 1991 from active Federal service and reverted to state control.

Former Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 198th Military Police Battalion, was withdrawn 1 May 1995 from the 223rd Military Police Company and reorganized as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 198th Military Police Battalion (223rd Military Police Company - hereafter separate lineage).



NEWSLETTER
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list