194th Combat Sustainment Support Battalion
194th Maintenance Battalion
The mission of the 194th Combat Sustainment Support Battalion is to provide adaptive, responsive supply, maintenance, transportation, and combat service support to the Korean Theater of Operations. The Battalion, on order, transitions to war and provides combat sustainment in support of full spectrum operations.
Prior to the transformation, the 194th Maintenance Battalion, located at Camp Humphreys and at locations around Wonju, consisted of a Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, a direct support maintenance company (the 520th Maintenance Company), a supply company (the 348th Quartermaster Company) and two aviation intermediate maintenance companies (C and G Companies, 52nd Aviation Regiment). Its missions included aircraft recovery operations, direct support maintenance, hot refuel, water purification operations and intermediate level aircraft maintenance. Through the enhanced engine repair activity, the 194th Maintenance Battalion provided a cost avoidance program saving several million dollars per year ($26 million in FY94).
The distinctive unit insignia for the Battalion was authorized on 26 July 1967, consisting of a gold quill and micrometer forming a saltire across a red disc within a blue annulet, the pen of the quill and the handle of the micrometer passing under the base portion of the annulet bearing the inscription on the top "FORWARD" and on the base "WITH SUPPORT" in gold letters. Crimson is the color used for Maintenance. The crossed quill and micrometer simulated a brace and implied support; the quill also symbolized the command, administration and supervisory aspects of the organization's mission, while the micrometer alludes to its precision and technology. The annulet further suggested a wheel and refers to mobility and a continual round of services.
The 194th Combat Sustainment Support Battalion was first constituted on 18 October 1927 in the Regular Army as the 8th Motor Repair Battalion. It was redesignated on 1 May 1936 as the 57th Quartermaster Regiment (Heavy Maintenance). The Regiment was activated on 25 June 1942 at Camp Shelby, Mississippi.
The unit was redesignated on 1 August 1942 as the 47th Ordnance Heavy Maintenance Regiment. The Regiment was broken up 30 September 1942 with 1st Battalion being redesignated as 194th Ordnance Heavy Maintenance Battalion. This unit was redesignated on June 1943 as the 194th Ordnance Battalion before being inactivated on 30 June 1946 on Luzon, Philippine Islands.
The unit was redesignated 27 January 1967 as 194th Maintenance Battalion and activated on 23 February 1967 at Fort George G. Meade, Maryland. The unit was inactivated on 22 May 1970 in the Republic of Korea (ROK).
The 194th Maintenance Battalion was subsequently reactivated, being eventually reassigned to the 23rd Area Support Group in Korea. By 2005, its consisted of a Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 2 aviation maintenance companies (Companies C and G, 52nd Aviation), a maintenance company (520th Maintenance Company), and a quartermaster company (348th Quartermaster Company).
In June 2006, the 23rd Area Support Group was inactivated in the lead upt to the reorganization and redesignation of the 19th Theater Support Command to the 19th Expeditionary Sustainment Command. As a result, the 194th Maintenance Company was reorganized and redesignated as the 194th Combat Sustainment Support Battalion. It was subsequently assigned to the 501st Sustainment Brigade (previously designated the 501st Corps Support Group), a subordinate unit of the 19th Expeditionary Sustainment Command.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|