177th Armored Brigade (Training Support)
The 177th Armored Brigade mission is to mobilize, train, validate, deploy, and demobilize Reserve Component units in accordance with Combatant Commander, Department of the Army, Forces Command, First US Army, and Division East directives at Camp Shelby Joint Forces Training Center in order to support overseas contingency operations. When directed, the Brigade provides training to Joint, Interagency, Combined, and Active Army Forces.
The 177th Armored Brigade (Training Support) was first constituted on 5 August 1917 in the National Army as Headquarters, 177th Infantry Brigade, and assigned to the 89th Division. It was organized on 27 August 1917 at Camp Funston, Kansas. Sent to Europe to fight in the Great War, the unit was awarded campaign streamers for participation in 3 campaigns: St. Mihiel, Meuse-Argonne, and Lorraine 1918. After returning from Europe, the unit was demobilized on 1 June 1919 at Camp Funston, Kansas.
The unit was reconstituted on 24 June 1921 in the Organized Reserves as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 177th Infantry Brigade, and assigned to the 89th Division. It was organized on 20 March 1922 at La Harpe, Kansas. It was redesignated on 23 March 1925 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 177th Brigade and again on 24 August 1936 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 177th Infantry Brigade.
The unit was converted and redesignated on 22 February 1942 as the 89th Reconnaissance Troop, 89th Division (less 3rd Platoon). Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 178th Infantry Brigade was concurrently converted and redesignated as the 3rd Platoon, 89th Reconnaissance Troop, 89th Division. The Troop was ordered into active military service on 15 July 1942 and reorganized at Camp Carson, Colorado as the 89th Cavalry Reconnaissance Troop, an element of the 89th Division (later redesignated as the 89th Light Division). The unit was reorganized and redesignated on 15 September 1943 as Troop A, 4th Reconnaissance Squadron, and relieved from assignment to the 89th Light Division. It was reorganzied and redesignated on 8 December 1943 as Troop A, 34th Reconnaissance Squadron, Mechanized and again on 5 January 1944 as Troop A, 34th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron, Mechanized. The unit was inactivated on 3 March 1945 at Fort Riley, Kansas and completely disbanded 23 April 1953.
The unit was reconstituted on 16 October 1991 in the Regular Army (less 3rd Platoon) as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 177th Armored Brigade, and activated at Fort Irwin, California. The 3rd Platoon, Troop A, 34th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron, Mechanized thereafter had a separate lineage. The activation of the 177th Armored Brigade at Fort Irwin was the result of a process that had begun in the 1980s. In June 1981, 6th Battalion, 31st Infantry was formally activated at Fort Irwin as a mechanized infantry battalion. This battalion was formed from the 2nd Battalion, 58th Infantry. In October 1981, 1st Battalion, 73rd Armor was activated at Fort Irwin (the battalion was subsequently reflagged as lst Battalion, 63rd Armor). The first rotational mission for OPFOR began in January 1982. The Army's modernization efforts in the early 1980's met its true test against OPFOR during rotation 84-9 with the arrival of 2nd Brigade, 2nd Armored Division. For the first time a rotational unit employed Ml Abrams tanks and M2 Bradley fighting machines. In April 1986, the battalions were authorized to wear the patch of the 177th Armored Brigade, as part of the 177th Armored Brigade "concept" plan. On 1 March 1987, the 177th Armored Brigade was provisionally activated before its formal activation in 1991.
In the early 90's, visually modified T-80 tanks, the OPFOR Surrogate Vehicle (OSV), and the Aircraft Survivability Equipment Trainer (ASET IV) joined the OPFOR inventory modernizing the threat at the National Training Center to reflect future battlefields. On 15 October 1994, the 177th Armored Brigade was inactivated at Fort Irwin. Its personnel and equipment were reflagged as the 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment on 26 October 1994, bringing the Blackhorse Regiment back into existence to continue the training mission.
The Headquarters, 177th Armored Brigade was activated on 24 October 1997 at Camp Shelby, Mississippi as a training support brigade. The Brigade was inactivated there on 16 October 1999 and was reflagged as 3rd Brigade, 87th Division (Training Support).
Headquarters, 177th Armored Brigade was reactivated on 1 December 2006 at Camp Shelby, Mississippi again in the training support role, assigned to Division East, First US Army.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|