174th Infantry Brigade (Training Support)
The mission of the 174th Infantry Brigade, based at Fort Dix, is to conduct training operations for all branches of the military preparing to deploy for contingency operations around the world.
The 174th Infantry Brigade (Training Support) was first constituted on 5 August 1917 in the National Army as Headquarters, 174th Infantry Brigade, and assigned to the 87th Division. The unit was organized on 25 August 1917 at Camp Pike, Arkansas. The 174th Infantry Brigade recieved a campaign streamer without inscription for its colors for participation in the First World War. Following the end of the conflict, the Brigade was demobilized in January 1919 at Camp Dix, New Jersey.
The unit was reconstituted on 24 June 1921 in the Organized Reserves as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 174th Infantry Brigade, and assigned to the 87th Division. It was organized in December 1921 at Shreveport, Louisiana. The unit was redesignated on 23 March 1925 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 174th Brigade and again on 24 August 1936 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 174th Infantry Brigade.
The unit was converted and redesignated on 13 February 1942 as the 3rd Platoon, 87th Reconnaissance Troop, 87th Division. The Troop was ordered into active military service on 15 December 1942 and the unit was reorganized at Camp McCain, Mississippi, as the 3rd Platoon, 87th Reconnaissance Troop, an element of the 87th Infantry Division. The unit was reorganized and redesignated on 2 August 1943 as the 3rd Platoon, 87th Reconnaissance Troop, Mechanized. Deployed to the European Theater of Operations during World War II, the Troop participated in 3 campaigns: Rhineland, Ardennes-Alsace, and Central Europe. After the war the unit was inactivated on 21 September 1945 at Fort Benning, Georgia.
The unit was redesignated on 28 April 1947 as the 87th Mechanized Cavalry Reconnaissance Troop and activated on 12 May 1947 at Birmingham, Alabama. The Organized Reserves, to which the unit was allotted, was redesignated on 25 March 1948 as the Organized Reserve Corps. The unit was reorganized and redesignated on 18 May 1949 as the 87th Reconnaissance Company and finally inactivated 1 December 1951 at Birmingham, Alabama. While the unit was inactive, the Organized Reserve Corps was redesignated on 9 July 1952 as the Army Reserve.
The unit was converted and redesignated on 26 March 1963 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 174th Infantry Brigade. It was withdrawn on 24 October 1997 from the Army Reserve and allotted to the Regular Army. Its Headquarters concurrently activated at Fort Drum, New York. There it was established as an Army Reserve training support brigade with 3 organic training support battalions. The 174th Infantry Brigade Observer/Controller-Trainer (O/C-T) Certification Program was an internal program conducted at brigade and battalion levels. The program maintained 10 percent of CTC O/C academy graduates to ensure that personnel were current on O/C methods. The NCOs were also subjected to a Mobile Training Team (MTT) at Fort Drum, New York administered by the Infantry Training Center at Fort Benning, Georgia. NCOs had to prove their knowledge in basic and advanced infantry tactics through the Infantry Tactics Certification Course and a yearly examination.
The 1st Battalion, 174th Infantry Brigade (Training Support) executed lane training, situational training exercises, and UMTS at selected inactive duty training and annual training sites to increase force support package, enhanced brigade, Latest Arrival Date Less Than 30 Forces (LAD < 30) and other designated units pre-mobilization training readiness. The Battalion would, on order, conduct post-mobilization training for selected Reserve Component units, and provide augmentation to military support to civilian authorities in support of the Federal Response Team.
The Brigade was inactivated on 16 October 1999 at Fort Drum, New York and reflagged as the 2nd Brigade, 78th Division (Training Support) as part of the Training Support XXI program. As part of the program, active component support to reserve component unit was restructured, reflecting the Army's increased reliance on reserve forces, transitioning to a fully integrated multi-component organization.
Further changes to the structure of training elements in the US Army was a product of the redesignation of Fifth US Army as US Army, North (ARNORTH) and the subsequent expansion of First US Army, saw Headquarters, 174th Infantry Brigade reactivated on 1 December 2006 at Fort Drum, New York. The unit became assigned to Division East, First US Army as a training support brigade.
On 3 May 2010, soldiers of the Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 174th Infantry Brigade unveiled their unit colors for the first time at Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst (JBMDL) in a brief ceremony. The HHD move was part of a planned relocation of the entire Brigade to JBMDL in 2011.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|