158th Infantry Brigade (Training Support)
The 158th Infantry Brigade (Training Support) provides training assistance and support to Reserve Component units within its capabilities. The Brigade synchronizes training support within its area of responsibility in order to enhance individual and unite readiness to meet directed pre- and post-mobilization and/or wartime requirements.
The 158th Infantry Brigade (Training Support) was first constituted on 5 August 1917 in the National Army as Headquarters, 158th Infantry Brigade, and assigned to the 79th Division. The unit was organized 25 August 1917 at Camp Meade, Maryland. Sent to Europe to fight in the Great War, the unit was awarded campaign streamers for participation in 2 campaigns: Meuse-Argonne, Lorraine 1918. After returning from Europe, the unit was demobilized on 6 June 1919 at Camp Dix, New Jersey.
The unit was reconstituted on 24 June 1921 in the Organized Reserves as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 158th Infantry Brigade, and assigned to the 79th Division. It was organized in November 1921 at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The unit was redesignated on 23 March 1925 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 158th Brigade and again on 24 August 1936 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 158th Infantry Brigade. The unit was converted and redesignated on 12 February 1942 as the 3rd Platoon, 79th Reconnaissance Troop, 79th Division. Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 157th Infantry Brigade was concurrently converted and redesignated as the 79th Reconnaissance Troop (less 3rd Platoon), 79th Division. The Troop as a whole was ordered into active military service on 15 June 1942 and reorganized at Camp Pickett, Virginia, as the 79th Cavalry Reconnaissance Troop, an element of the 79th Division (later redesignated as the 79th Infantry Division). The unit was reorganized and redesignated again on 2 August 1943 as the 79th Reconnaissance Troop, Mechanized. The Troop participated in 5 campaigns during the Second World War in the European Theater of Operations: Normandy, Northern France, Rhineland, Ardennes-Alsace, Central Europe. After the end of the Second World War, the Troop was inactivated 11 December 1945 at Camp Kilmer, New Jersey.
The unit was reactivated on 28 January 1947 at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania as the 79th Mechanized Cavalry Reconnaissance Troop. It was reorganized and redesignated on 15 July 1949 as the 79th Reconnaissance Company. An element of the Organized Reserves, the Division remained a part of this organization was it was redesignated on 25 March 1948 as the Organized Reserve Corps, which was in turn redesignated on 9 July 1952 as the Army Reserve. The Company was inactivated on 20 April 1959 at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
3rd Platoon, 79th Reconnaissance Company was converted and redesignated on 5 November 1962 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 158th Infantry Brigade, and relieved from assignment to the 79th Infantry Division. The remainder of Company was concurrently redesignated as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 157th Infantry Brigade, which thereafter had a separate lineage. The unit was withdrawn on 24 October 1997 from the Army Reserve and allotted to the Regular Army. The Brigade's headquarters was concurrently activated at Patrick Air Force Base, Florida. It was inactivated there on 16 October 1999 and reflagged as 2nd Brigade, 87th Division (Training Support).
The 158th Infantry Brigade was reactivated on 1 December 2006 at Patrick Air Force Base, Florida as a training support brigade assigned to Division East, First US Army.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|