Find a Security Clearance Job!

Military


121st Signal Battalion
"Danger's Voice"

In FY06, as part of the Army's transformation towards a modular force, the 121st Signal Battalion was inactivated. As part of the modular transformation, signal elements were to be added to each modular Brigade Combat Team's Special Troop Battalion. Division level signal battalions would be inactivated.

The mission of the 121st Signal Battalion was to deploy and provide signal support to 1st Infantry Division's operations.

The unit was originally constituted on 1 July 1916 in the Regular Army as a Signal Corps Battalion. It was later reorganized on 16 September 1916 at Fort Sam Houston, Texas, as the 2nd Field Battalion, Signal Corps, to consist of 3 companies.

Company A was first organized on 27 July 1898 as Company A, Signal Corps. It was redesignated on 5 April 1910 as Field Company A, Signal Corps, on 19 October 1915 as Radio Company A, Signal Corps, and then on 11 November 1916 as Company A, 2nd Field Battalion, Signal Corps. Company B was first organized on 27 July 1898 as Company D, Signal Corps. It was redesignated on 5 April 1910 as Field Company D, Signal Corps, and then on 11 November 1916 as Company B, 2nd Field Battalion, Signal Corps. Company C, 2nd Field Battalion, Signal Corps, was organized on 11 May 1917.

The Battalion was assigned on 24 May 1917 to the 1st Expeditionary Division, which was redesignated on 6 July 1917 as the 1st Division and then on 15 May 1942 as the 1st Infantry Division.

The unit was reorganized and redesignated on 3 August 1917 as the 2nd Field Signal Battalion. It was reorganized and redesignated again on 9 February 1921 as the 1st Signal Company.

The unit was again reorganized and redesignated on 15 February 1957 as Headquarter and Headquarters Company, 121st Signal Battalion with its organic elements constituted on 8 February 1957 and activated on 15 February 1957 at Fort Riley, Kansas.

It was inactivated on 15 December 1995 at Fort Riley, Kansas and activated on 16 February 1996 in Germany.

In 2003 the 121st Signal Battalion was slated to deploy to Turkey as part of the preparations for conflict in Iraq. The 121st Signal Battalion deployed with other elements of the 1st Infantry Division (Mechanized) to Iraq in February 2004 as part of Operation Iraqi Freedom. During its year in theater, the Battalion helped establish the largest command and control network in the Iraqi theater of operations.

Following the Battalion's return to Germany in early 2005, the 121st Signal Battalion began its inactivation process. Company B of the 121st Signal Battalion inactivated on 9 November 2005, at Larson Barracks in Kitzingen. Company A inactivated on 31 March 2006, at Conn Barracks in Schweinfurt, and Company C was inactivated on 10 April 2006, at Larson Barracks. These inactivations were part of the transformation of the 1st Infantry Division (Mechanized) to the Army's new modular force structure. As part of the modular transformation, signal elements were to be added to each modular Brigade Combat Team's Special Troop Battalion. Division level signal battalions would be inactivated.




NEWSLETTER
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list