Find a Security Clearance Job!

Military


1st Battalion, 94th Field Artillery Regiment

The restructuring of US forces in Europe and the transformation of the US Army as a whole to the modular force structure resulted in the departure of most units of the 1st Armored Division from Germany and the inactivation of the Division Artillery, 1st Armored Division. The 1st Battalion, 94th Field Artillery Regiment became part of the 17th Field Artillery Brigade at Fort Sill, Oklahoma, and then remained assigned to it when it was reorganized and redesignated as the 17th Fires Brigade and moved to Fort Lewis, Washington.

Previously, the mission of the 1st Battalion (MLRS/Target Acquisition), 94th Field Artillery Regiment was to, on order, transition to mission and deploy to provide responsive target acquisition and rocket/missile fires in support of 1st Armored Division combat or stability operations.

The 1st Battalion, 94th Field Artillery was first constituted on 1 October 1933 in the Regular Army as Battery A, 94th Field Artillery. It was redesignated on 1 January 1942 as Battery A, 94th Armored Field Artillery Battalion and activated on 6 January 1942 at Pine Camp, New York, as an element of the 4th Armored Division. The unit participated in 5 campaigns of the Second World War as part of the 4th Armored Division: Normandy, Northern France, Rhineland, Ardennes-Alsace, and Central Europe.

After the end of the Second World War, the unit was converted and redesignated on 1 May 1946 as Troop A, 94th Constabulary Squadron, an element of the 11th Constabulary Regiment, part of the US occupation forces in Europe.

The unit was converted and redesignated on 6 January 1948 as Battery A, 94th Field Artillery Battalion. The 94th Field Artillery Battalion as a whole was concurrently relieved from assignment to the 11th Constabulary Regiment. The unit was inactivated on 20 May 1949 in Germany. The unit was concurrently redesignated as Battery A, 94th Armored Field Artillery Battalion, an element of the 4th Armored Division.

The unit wa reactivated on 15 June 1954 at Fort Hood, Texas. It was inactivated on 1 April 1957 at Fort Hood, Texas, and relieved from assignment to the 4th Armored Division. It was concurrently redesignated as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 1st Battalion, 94th Artillery. The unit was assigned on 19 June 1963 to the 4th Armored Division with its organic elements concurrently constituted. The Battalion was activated on 25 June 1963 in Germany. The unit was relieved on 10 May 1971 from assignment to the 4th Armored Division and assigned to the 1st Armored Division. It was redesignated on 1 September 1971 as the 1st Battalion, 94th Field Artillery.

Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 1st Battalion, 94th Field Artillery was reorganized and redesignated on 16 November 1986 as Battery A (MLRS), 94th Field Artillery, and remained assigned to the 1st Armored Division. The remainder of the Battalion was concurrently inactivated. Battery A, 94th Field Artillery deployed in support of Operations Desert Shield and Desert Storm, participating in 3 campaigns in Southwest Asia in 1990-1991: Defense of Saudi Arabia, Liberation and Defense of Kuwait, and Cease-Fire. The unit was inactivated on 15 January 1992 in Germany.

The Battery was reactivated on 16 July 1995 in Germany. It was reorganized and redesignated on 16 September 2000 as the 1st Battalion, 94th Field Artillery with its organic elements concurrently activated. It became a MLRS and Target Acquisition Battalion for the 1st Armored Division. It was redesignated on 1 October 2005 as the 1st Battalion, 94th Field Artillery Regiment.




NEWSLETTER
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list