1st Battalion, 77th Armor Regiment
The mission of the 1st Battalion, 77th Armor Regiment is to, on order, deploy to conduct full spectrum operations as part of the 4th Brigade Combat Team, 1st Armored Division, or designated force headquarters, and on order, redeploy.
In March 2008, the 1st Battalion, 77th Armor Regiment was inactivated and its personnel reflagged as part of the reflagging of the 2nd Brigade, 1st Infantry Division to the 172nd Infantry Brigade Combat Team. 1-77th Armor was subsequently reactivated as part of the newly activated 4th Brigade Combat Team, 1st Armored Division at Fort Bliss, Texas. This activation was part of the transformation of the 1st Armored Division as a whole to the new modular force structure.
The 1st Battalion, 77th Armor was first constituted on 13 January 1941 as Company A, 73rd Tank Battalion in the regular Army of the United States. Company A, 73rd Tank Battalion was activated on 1 June 1941 at Fort Benning, Georgia. It was redesignated on the 9 September 1942 as Company A, 753rd Tank Battalion (Medium). The unit first saw action in Sicily and later fought with it's battalion in support of regiments during the assault landing of southern France. The unit was again reorganzied and redesignated on 29 March 1944 as Company A, 753rd Tank Battalion. During World War II, the unit participated in 7 campaigns including: Sicily, Naples-Foggia, Rome-Arno, Southern France, Rhineland, Ardennes-Alsace, and Central Europe.
After World War II, Company A, 753rd Tank Battalion was inactivated at Camp Patrick Henry, Virginia on 15 January 1946. Less than one year later the unit was again activated at Fort Knox, Kentucky, home of the Armor Center, on 1 August 1946. The Battalion was again inactivated at Fort Knox, Kentucky on 15 October 1946.
On 20 march 1949 the unit was redesignated as Company A, 77th Heavy Tank Battalion, and activated in Japan as an element of the 7th Infantry Division. The unit was again reorganized and redesignated on 5 august 1950 as company A, 77th Tank Battalion. During its tour with the 7th Infantry Division in Korea the unit served in 6 campaigns, twice receiving the Korean presidential unit citation. The unit was with the 77th Tank Battalion when it was relieved on 10 October 1951 from assignment to the 7th Infantry Division and was inactivated on 10 November 1951 in Korea.
The unit was once again redesignated on 19 February 1962 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 1st Battalion, 77th Armor, assigned to the 5th Infantry Division, and activated at Fort Carson, Colorado, with its organic elements concurrently constituted and activated.
1-77th Armor fought in Vietnam with the 1st Brigade, 5th Infantry Division. The unit moved with the rest of 1st Brigade, 5th Infantry a few miles south of the DMZ in Quang Tri Province for search and clear, cordon and sweep operations. From time to time it became involved with 3rd Marine Division operations on the Khe Sanh plains and up to the vicinity of the DMZ with the US Marines. In total, the 1st Battalion, 77th Armor participated in 8 campaigns during its tour in Vietnam.
Following Vietnam, the unit was relieved from assignment to the 5th Infantry Division and reassigned to the 4th Infantry Division on 21 March 1973. The unit was later inactivated on 15 December 1989 at Fort Carson, Colorado.
On 16 February 1996, 1-77th Armor was assigned to the 2nd Brigade, 1st Infantry Division (Mechanized), which had moved to Germany from its previous post at Fort Riley, Kansas. The "Steel Tiger" Battalion was activated on 5 April 1996. There 1-77 Armor served as a forward stationed armor battalion within the 2nd Brigade, 1st Infantry Division. It was located in the southern German state of Bavaria, Schweinfurt.
In late 2003 2nd Brigade, 1st Infantry Division (Mechanized) began deployment to Kuwait as part of a planned deployment as part of Operation Iraqi Freedom. 1-77th Armor deployed with other elements of 2nd Brigade in modified form as infantry, with the addition of 200 additional soldiers, designated Task Force 1-77. Members of 2nd Battalion, 108th Infantry, an element of New York's National Guard, were assigned to Task Force 1-77, and the Battalion replaced its tanks, left in Germany, with HMMWVs for the deployment.
The 2nd Brigade, 1st Infantry Division (Mechanized) returned to Germany in 2005 and was again deployed to Iraq as part of Operation Iraqi Freedom in 2006. During 2006 as part of a restructuring of the US Army in Europe, the 1st Infantry Division Headquarters returned to Fort Riley, Kansas. 2nd Brigade remained in Germany until it was inactivated in March 2008, being reflagged as the 172nd Infantry Brigade Combat Team. 1-77th Armor was also inactivated, its personnel reflagged as 3rd Battalion, 66th Armor, part of the 172nd Infantry Brigade Combat Team. 1-77th Armor was subsequently reactivated, assigned to the newly activated 4th Brigade Combat Team, 1st Armored Division at Fort Bliss, Texas.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|