1st Battalion, 37th Field Artillery Regiment
1st Battalion, 37th Field Artillery, the field artillery element of the 3rd Stryker Brigade Combat Team, had 3 batteries, each with 4 M198 155-mm howitzers. The Battalion also had a target acquisition platoon with one Q-36 and one Q-37 Firefinder radar. At the time of its reorganization in 2000, it had a strength of approximately 290 personnel.
The 1st Battalion, 37th Field Artillery Regiment was originally constituted on 5 July 1918 in the National Army as Battery A, 37th Field Artillery, an element of the 13th Division. It was organized on 17 August 1918 at Camp Lewis, Washington and demobilized there on 11 February 1919.
The unit was reconstituted on 1 October 1933 in the Regular Army as Battery A, 37th Field Artillery. It was redesignated on 1 October 1940 as Battery A, 37th Field Artillery Battalion, an element of the 2nd Division (later redesignated as the 2nd Infantry Division), and activated at Fort Sam Houston, Texas.
The unit was again reorganized and redesignated on 20 February 1956 as Battery A, 37th Armored Field Artillery Battalion. Battery A was redesignated on 20 June 1957 as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 1st Howitzer Battalion, 37th Artillery with its organic elements were concurrently constituted and activated. It was also concurrently relieved from assignment to the 2nd Infantry Division.
This organization did not last long with with Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 1st Howitzer Battalion, 37th Artillery being reorganized and redesignated on 16 December 1957 as Battery A, 37th Artillery. Its organic elements were concurrently inactivated. Battery A, 37th Artillery was reorganized and redesignated on 1 June 1960 again as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 1st Howitzer Battalion, 37th Artillery, with its organic elements concurrently activated.
The Battalion was assigned on 20 May 1963 to the 172nd Infantry Brigade (Separate). It was redesignated on 1 July 1963 as the 1st Battalion, 37th Artillery, and on 1 September 1971 as the 1st Battalion, 37th Field Artillery.
The Battalion was relieved on 15 April 1986 from assignment to the 172nd Infantry Brigade, it was reassigned to the 6th Infantry Division. It inactivated on 2 October 1986 at Fort Richardson, Alaska. It was at the same time relieved from its assignment to the 6th Infantry Division.
The unit was assigned on 16 April 1995 to the 2nd Infantry Division and reactivated at Fort Lewis, Washington. There it became the direct support battalion for the Division's 3rd Brigade, the only brigade to be station in the United States, with the 1st and 2nd Brigades being stationed in Korea.
In 2000, the 3rd Brigade became the initial brigade to transform to what became known was the US Army's modualar force structure. The resulting 3rd Brigade Combat Team was reorganized to include various elements that had previously existed at division level. As a result, 1st Battalion, 37th Field Artillery became organic to the new Brigade Combat Team.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|