1st Combined Arms Battalion, 194th Armor Regiment
1st Battalion, 194th Armor Regiment
The 1st Combined Arms Battalion, 194th Armor Regiment provides the 1st Brigade Combat Team, 34th Infantry Division with a trained and ready combat force. Additionally, the 1-194th Armor, a Minnesota Army National Guard battalion, is prepared to support the State of Minnesota with troops capable of assisting in a disaster. The Battalion is headquartered in Brainerd, Minnesota. As of 11 January 2011, there were 5 major units in the 1-194th Armor: the Battalion's Headquarters and Headquarters Company in Brainerd, Minnesota; A Company in Alexandria, Minnesota; B Company in East St. Paul, Minnesota; C Company in Sauk Centre, Minnesota; and D Company in St. Cloud, Minnesota.
The 1st Combined Arms Battalion, 194th Armor Regiment, was originally constituted on 1 September 1940 as the 194th Tank Battalion and organized from existing units in the California, Minnesota, and Missouri National Guards. These were Company A from Brainerd, Minnesota; Company B from Saint Joseph, Missouri, and Company C from Salinas, California. As the United States participation in the Second World War, much of America's early fighting strength came from the Army National Guard. It was inducted into Federal service from 23 December 1940 to 3 March 1941 at home stations. Headquarters, 194th Tank Battalion was organized on 12 March 1941 at Fort Lewis, Washington.
The 194th Tank Battalion deployed to the Philippines during the fall of 1941 in support of its defense from a possible Japanese attack. The 194th Tank Battalion became the first armored force in United States history to deploy overseas when it deployed to the Philippines to defend Manila Bay. Members of 194th Tank Battalion fought bravely during the Battle of Bataan and eventually endured the infamous Bataan Death March. Later reformed, the unit served elsewhere in the Pacific theater before being inactivated on 2 April 1946 in the Philippine Islands.
The unit was reorganized on 9 April 1947 in the Minnesota Army National Guard with Headquarters at Brainerd, Minnesota. It was reorganized and redesignated on 1 February 1949 as the 194th Heavy Tank Battalion and assigned to the 47th Infantry Division. On 1 September 1950 it was reorganized and redesignated as the 194th Tank Battalion. It was ordered into active Federal service on 16 January 1951 at home stations.
The 194th Tank Battalion was organized and was Federally recognized on 16 January 1953 with Headquarters at Brainerd, Minnesota. It was released on 2 December 1954 from active Federal service and reverted to state control. Federal recognition was concurrently withdrawn from the 194th Tank Battalion.
It consolidated on 22 February 1959 with the 1st Battalion, 136th Infantry and the consolidated unit reorganized and was redesignated as the 194th Armor, a parent regiment under the Combat Arms Regimental System, to consist of the 1st Medium Tank Battalion, an element of the 47th Infantry Division.
The unit was reorganized on 1 April 1963 as the 1st Battalion, 194th Armor, an element of the 47th Infantry Division. It expanded, reorganized, and was redesignated on 1 February 1968 as the 194th Cavalry, to consist of the 1st Squadron, an element of the 47th Infantry Division. The 194th Cavalry was withdrawn on 30 November 1988 from the Combat Arms Regimental System and allotted the United States Army Regimental System. It was reorganized on 10 February 1991 to consist of the 1st Squadron, an element of the 34th Infantry Division.
It was converted and was redesignated on 1 September 1992 as the 194th Infantry to consist of the 1st Battalion, an element of the 34th Infantry Division. It was subsequently converted and redesignated as the 194th Armor to consist of the 1st Battalion. The unit was again reorganized and redesignated subsequently as the 1st Combined Arms Battalion, 194th Armor Regiment.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|