UNITED24 - Make a charitable donation in support of Ukraine!

Military


1st Battalion - 182nd Field Artillery Regiment (MLRS)

The Battalion is headquarted in Detroit at the Olympia Armory on the corner of Grand River and McGraw roads at the site of the old Olympia Stadium.

The 1st Battalion - 182nd Field Artillery Regiment was originally organized and Federally recognized on 6 December 1922 in the Michigan National Guard as the 182d Field Artillery, with 1st and 3d Battalions. The 2d Battalion, 182d Field Artillery, organized and was Federally recognized on 10 April 1939 at Detroit.

The unit reorganized on 6 February 1941 to consist of the 1st and 2d Battalions, with Batteries E and F transferred to the 2d Battalion and the remainder of the 3d Battalion absorbed in the Regiment. The unit was iInducted into Federal service on 7 April 1941 at Detroit.

The regiment was broken up on 1 March 1943 and its elements reorganized and redesignated as follows:

  • Headquarters and Headquarters Battery as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery , 182d Field Artillery Group
  • 1st Battalion as 182d Field Artillery Battalion
  • 2d Battalion as 949th Field Artillery Battalion (hereafter separate lineage)

Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 182d Field Artillery Group inactivated 28 November 1945 at Camp Kilmer, NJ. The 182d Field Artillery Battalion inactivated 3 December 1945 at Camp Myles Standish, MA.

Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 182d Field Artillery Group and the 182d Field Artillery Battalion consolidated, reorganized, and was Federally recognized on 11 December 1946 as the 182d Field Artillery Battalion at Detroit.

The 182d and 177th Field Artillery Battalions and 300th Antiaircraft Artillery Battalion consolidated, reorganized, and were redesignated on 15 March 1959 as the 182d Artillery,a parent regiment under the Combat Arms Regimental System, to consist of the 1st Rocket Howitzer Battalion and 2d and 3d Howitzer Battalions, elements of the 46th Infantry Division.

The unit was reorganized on 15 March 1963 to consist of the 1st, 2d and 3d Battalions, elements of the 46th Infantry Division. The 1st and 3d Battalions were ordered into active Federal service on 24 July 1967 at Camp Grayling and 2d Battalion ordered into Federal service at Detroit; they were released from active Federal service on 2 August 1967 and reverted to State control.

The unit was reorganized on 1 February 1968 to consist of 1st and 2d Battalions, non divisional units, and was redesignated on 1 February 1972 as the 182d Field Artillery.



NEWSLETTER
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list



 
Page last modified: 05-07-2011 01:17:39 ZULU