1st Battalion - 169th Aviation Regiment
The mission of the battalion is to provide command and control for corps level medium lift helicopter assets, during combat, combat support, and combat service support operations. This battalion was federally recognized on September 1st, 1988. At that time this headquarters commanded and controlled D Company, 1/169 Aviation (Heavy Lift CH-54B Skycrane), and the 143rd Military Police Company. In June of 1992, D Company 169th Aviation retired it's CH-54D Chinook Medium Lift Helicopter company. In September of 1995, D Company and the battalion continued under this configuration until May 1st, 1996 when the 143rd Military Police Company was transferred. The unit currently flies the CH-47 and has an active component / reserve component relationship with the 18th Airborne Corps. It had conducted two OCONUS annual training periods by 1999.
In 1947 the Army provided for military science to be given at the University of Connecticut/Hartford Branch. In 1985 the Cadet Battalion adopted the name "The Nathan Hale Battalion." Forty cadets from the Nathan Hale Battalion participated in the Fall FTX conducted at Camp Rowland and Stones Ranch Military Reservation. The two-day FTX began with an airlift via CH-47 Chinook helicopter provided by Company G, 104th Aviation of the 1st Battalion, 169th Aviation Regiment, Connecticut Army National Guard. The exercise focused on garrison operations, physical fitness, land navigation and the confidence course.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|