1st Battalion - 147th Armor Regiment
The federal mission of the 1st battalion, 147th Armor Regiment, is to mobilize to deploy by air, ground or sea and move to and occupy designated assembly areas; conduct offensive operations; counterattack; and conduct defensive operations. Its state mission is to provide units/personnel trained and equipped for immediate deployment in support of natural disasters and civil disturbances within the State of Ohio as an aid to civil authorities.
The 1st battalion, 147th Armor Regiment, was originally organized on 19 April 1854 in the Ohio Militia as Guthrie Greys, an independent infantry company, at Cincinnati. It was expanded and reorganized on 10 January 1859 as the Guthrie Grey Battalion. Upon its expansion on 27 April 1861, it was redesignated as the 6th Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry and mustered into Federal service on 12 May 1861 for 3 months. It was then reorganized on 18 June 1861 and mustered into Federal service at Camp Dennison, OH, for 3 years. (The Ohio Militia was redesignated on 31 March 1864 as the Ohio National Guard). The unit was mustered out of Federal service on 23 June 1864 at Camp Dennison.
It was reorganized between 1870-1877 as independent companies in Ohio. Companies of Cincinnati and nearby towns consolidated in 1877 and were designated as the 1st Infantry Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry. It was mustered out on 25 October 1898 at Cincinnati.
The regimental organizaton was broken up on 14 April 1899, with elements continued as unattached companies. Companies in Cincinnati consolidated on 6 November 1899 and reorganized as 1st Separate Infantry Battalion, and companies in Hamilton area consolidated and were reorganized as the 2d Separate Infantry Battalion. The 1st and 2d Separate Infantry Battalions consolidated on 22 January 1902 and reorganized as the 1st Infantry.
The regimental organization was broken up on 7 February 1913 and the regiment reorganized on 22 April 1914. It was mustered into Federal service on 19 June 1916 for service on the Mexican border, before being drafted into Federal service on 5 August 1917. It next consolidated on 25 October 1917 with the 6th Infantry, an element of the Ohio National Guard (Toledo area), was redesignated as the 147th Infantry, and became assigned to the 37th Division. It demobilized on 19 April 1919 at Camp Sherman, OH.
Cincinnati elements consolidated with elements of the former 148th Infantry (southwestern Ohio) which traced its origins to the 5th Regiment, Ohio Volunteer Infantry that organized with companies from southwestern Ohio and was mustered into Federal service on 8 May 1861 for 3 months. That unit was subsequently reorganized on 20 June 1861 and mustered into Federal service for 3 years, and reorganized again in 1864 as the 5th Battalion, Ohio Volunteer Infantry, before being mustered out of Federal service on 26 July 1865 at Louisville, KY. It was reorganized between 1870 - 1877 as independent companies in southwestern Ohio, Dayton, and the Springfield area (Companies assigned to 4th Infantry Regiment in 1877; to 7th Infantry Regiment in 1884; and to 13th Infantry Regiment in 1887). The existing companies consolidated on 22 January 1891 with newly organized companies from the same area and the consolidated unit were designated as the 3d Infantry Regiment. It was mustered into Federal service on 10 May 1898 at Camp Bushnell, Columbus, OH, as the 3d Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and mustered out of Federal service on 26 October 1898 at Columbus, resuming its state status. It was disbanded on 14 April 1899; reorganized on 6 November 1899 with Headquarters at Dayton; mustered into Federal service on 14 July 1916 for service on the Mexican border; drafted into Federal service on 5 August 1917; redesignated on 15 September 1917 as 148th Infantry, an element of the 37th Division; and demobilized on 21 April 1919 at Camp Sherman, OH.
The resulting consolidated unit reorganized between 1919-1920 as the 1st Infantry, in the Ohio National Guard. It was federally recognized on 11 March 1921 with Headquarters at Cincinnat and redesignated on 1 July 1921 as the 147th Infantry and assigned to the 37th Division. It was inducted into Federal service on 15 October 1940 at Cincinnati (the 37th Division was reorganized and redesignated on 1 August 1942 as 37th Infantry Division). It was relieved on 31 July 1943 from assignment to the 37th Infantry Division and inactivated by elements between 15-25 December 1945 at Vancouver Barracks, Fort Lewis, and Fort Lawton, WA.
Assigned on 10 June 1946 to the 37th Infantry Division, it was reorganized and Federally recognized on 17 December 1946 in the Ohio National Guard with Headquarters at Cincinnati. The unit was ordered into active Federal service on 15 January 1952 at home stations (the 147th Infantry (NGUS) was organized and Federally recognized on 15 January 1954 with Headquarters at Cincinnati). The 147th Infantry was released from active Federal service on 15 June 1954 and reverted to State control. Concurrently, Federal recognition was withdrawn from the 147th Infantry (NGUS).
The unit was next reorganized on 1 September 1959 as the 147th Infantry, a parent regiment under the Combat Arms Regimental System, to consist of the 1st Battle Group, an element of the 37th Infantry Division. It reorganized on 1 April 1963 to consist of 1st Battalion, 147th Infantry (an element of the 37th Infantry Division) and 2d Battalion, 147th Infantry (non-divisional); and on 15 February 1968 to consist of the 1st Battalion 147th Infantry (the 1st Battalion concurrently, was relieved from assignment to the 37th Infantry Division and assigned to the 38th Infantry Division).
The battalion transitioned in 1993 from an infantry unit to an armor one. It subsequently became organized under the 37th Armor Brigade, 38th Infantry Division.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|