Win the adventure of a lifetime!

UNITED24 - Make a charitable donation in support of Ukraine!

Military


1st Battalion - 134th Field Artillery Regiment
"Faithful and Bold"

The federal mission of the 1st Battalion, 134th Field Artillery, is to on M-Day, H-Hour, alert, assemble, mobilize, and complete post-mobilizatioin training; on order, deploy to a theater of operations and occupies assembly area; and on order, destroy, neutralize, or surpress the enemy by cannon fire in support of combined arms operations.

The state mission of the 1st Battalion, 134th Field Artillery, on order, alerts and assembles with little or no advance notice: deploys elements as required within 6 hours of alert and at the call of the Governor, to support in priority (1) the restoration of order in the event of a civil disorder, and (2) to support the government of Ohio in the event of an emergency proclamation or disaster.

The 1st Battalion, 134th Field Artillery, was originally organized on 6 July 1839 in the Ohio Militia at Cleveland as the Gun Section, Cleveland Grays. It was expanded, reorganized, and redesignated in 1845 as the Cleveland Light Artillery; and on 1 August 1860 as the 1st Regiment, Ohio Light Artillery. It was mustered into Federal service on 21 April 1861 and mustered out of Federal service on 27 July 1861 at Columbus, OH. The unit was reorganized and mustered into Federal service by batteries from 6 September-3 December 1861; and mustered out of Federal service by batteries from 16 December 1864-31 August 1865 and continued in state service as independent artillery batteries.

It was reorganized on 6 May 1886 in the Ohio National Guard as the 1st Regiment Light Artillery. Elements of the regiment reorganized and were redesignated on 3 May 1898 as the 1st Battalion, Ohio Volunteer Artillery (remainder of the regiment converted to cavalry and infantry.) It was mustered into Federal service on 11 May 1898 and mustered out of Federal service 21-23 October 1898 at Columbus and resumed state status as the 1st Regiment Light Artillery. The regiment disbanded on 14 April 1899 with elements continuing as unattached batteries.

Reorganized on 23 September 1911 as the 1st Battalion, Ohio Light Artillery, it was mustered into Federal service on 5 July 1916 at Camp Willis, OH. It was expanded, reorganized, and redesignated on 4 May l917 as the 1st Field Artillery, before being drafted into Federal service on 5 August 1917. It was reorganized and redesignated on 15 September 1917 as the 134th Field Artillery and assigned to the 37th Division. It demobilized on 9 April 1919 at Camp Sherman, OH.

Reorganized on 4 August 1919 in the Ohio National Guard as the 1st Field Artillery, the unit was redesignated in 1920 as the 134th Field Artillery and assigned to the 37th Division. It was expanded, reorganized, and redesignated on 1 July 1921 as the 134th and 135th Field Artillery. After 1 July 1921 the above units underwent changes as follows:

  • Headquarters, 134th Field Artillery, Federally recognized 5 May 1922 at Columbus
  • 134th Field Artillery inducted into Federal service 15 October 1940 at home stations

The unit reorganized and was redesignated on 16 January 1942 as the 134th Field Artillery Battalion and the 140th Field Artillery Battalion, an element of the 37th Infantry Division. The 134th Field Artillery Battalion inactivated on 13 October 1945 at Fort Bragg, NC; and the 140th Field Artillery Battalion inactivated 18 December 1945 at Camp Anza, CA.

The 134th and 140th Field Artillery Battalions consolidated, were reorganized, and Federally recognized on 22 November 1946 as the 174th Field Artillery Battalion with Headquarters at Columbus. It consolidated on 1 September 1959 with the 134th Field Artillery Battalion to form the 134th Artillery, a parent regiment under the Combat Arms Regimental System, to consist of the 1st and 2d Howitzer Battalions, elements of the 37th Infantry Division. It reorganized on 1 April 1963 to consist of the 1st and 2d Battalions, elements of the 37th Infantry Division. The regiment was broken up on 15 February 1968 as various units in the Ohio Army National Guard.

Headquarters, 135th Field Artillery, was Federally recognized on 1 February 1922 at Cleveland. It was inducted into Federal service on 15 October 1940 at home stations. The Regiment (less 2d Battalion) reorganized and was redesignated on 16 January l942 as the 135th Field Artillery Battalion, an element of the 37th Infantry Division; the 2d Battalion concurrently reorganized and was redesignated as the 1st Battalion, 174th Field Artillery, and relieved from assignment to the 37th Division.

After 16 January l942 the above units underwent changes as follows:

  • 135th Field Artillery Battalion inactivated 13-18 December 1945 at Camp Anza, CA; reorganized and was Federally recognized on 21 November 1946 with Headquarters at Cleveland; was ordered into active Federal service on 15 January 1952 at home stations (135th Field Artillery Battalion [NGUS] organized and was Federally recognized on 15 January 1954 with Headquarters at Cleveland); and was released on 15 June 1954 from active Federal service and reverted to state control; Federal recognition was concurrently withdrawn from the 135th Field Artillery Battalion (NGUS);
  • 1st Battalion, 174th Field Artillery, reorganized and was redesignated on 25 February 1943 as the 174th Field Artillery Battalion. It inactivated on 23 December 1945 at Camp Khmer, NJ. It reorganized and was Federally recognized on 20 November 1946 as the 140th Field Artillery Battalion, an element of the 37th Infantry Division, with Headquarters at Toledo. It was ordered into active Federal service on 15 January 1952 at home stations (140th Field Artillery Battalion [NGUS] organized and was Federally recognized on 15 January 1954 with Headquarters at Toledo). It was released on 15 June 1954 from active Federal service and reverted to state control; Federal recognition concurrently withdrawn from the 140th Field Artillery Battalion (NGUS)/

The 134th and 140th Field Artillery Battalions consolidated on 1 September 1959 to form the 135th Artillery, a parent regiment under the Combat Arms Regimental System, to consist of the 1st and 2d Howitzer Battalions, elements of the 37th Infantry Division. It reorganized on 1 April 1963 to consist of the 1st Battalion, an element of the 37th Infantry Division. The regiment was broken up 15 February-1 May 1968 and its elements reorganized and redesignated as the Howitzer Batteries, 1st and 2d Squadrons, 107th Armored Cavalry. It consolidated on 1 May 1977 to form the Howitzer Battery, 3d Squadron, 107th Armored Cavalry.

Former elements of the 134th Field Artillery and the Howitzer Battery, 3d Squadron, 107th Armored Cavalry, consolidated on 2 September 1993 with the 136th Field Artillery to form the 134th Field Artillery, a parent regiment under the United States Army Regimental System with Headquarters at Columbus, to consist of the 1st Battalion, an element of the 28th Infantry Division.

On 10 February 2004, the 1-134th Field Artillery Battalion was mobilized to Camp Atterbury, Indiana and subsequently deployed on 01 March 2004 in support of the Global War on Terrorism as part of Operation Enduring Freedom. The Battalion provided Force Protection to numerous Army and Air Force installations throughout the European Command's area of responsibility.



NEWSLETTER
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list



 
Page last modified: 05-07-2011 01:17:05 ZULU