B Battery - 1st Battalion, 103rd Field Artillery
The mission of Alpha Battery, 1st Battalion, 103rd Field Artillery, is to destroy, neutralize, or suppress the enemy by cannon fire and help integrate all fire support assets into combined arms operations.
B Battery, 1st Battalion, 103d Field Artillery, Rhode Island Army National Guard, is located at the North Smithfield Armory, North Smithfield, RI.
The unit is a towed howitzer firing battery and is equipped with the M-198 cannon. Soldiers in this unit are trained as cannon crew members (MOS 13B).
Battery B, 103rd Field Artillery, traces its past history to Company B, First Battalion of Field Artillery, Rhode Island Militia, which was organized May 1, 1875, and disbanded May 28, 1879.
Again organized on June 15, 1917, as Battery B, it formed part of the First Separate Battalion, Rhode Island Field Artillery, National Guard. Called into Federal service for the World War on July 25, 1917, it was drafted into the U.S. Army on August 5, 1917. Stationed at Camp Curtis Guild, Boxford, Massachusetts, it became Battery B, 103rd Field Artillery, 26th Division, A. E. F. It was demobilized at Camp Devens, Massachusetts, April 29, 1919.
Granted authority to reorganize as Battery B, Field Artillery, Rhode Island National Guard, May 28, 1921, it was extended Federal recognition June 16, 1921, and redesignated Battery B, 103rd Field Artillery, Rhode Island National Guard, November 25, 1921.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|