March 2012 Intelligence News
- U.S. Ambassador Complains Of Russian Eavesdropping RFE/RL 30 Mar 2012 -- U.S. Ambassador to Russia Michael McFaul has questioned in a series of tweets how some Russian media seem to know all his plans.
- Ex-KGB Foreign Intel Chief Commits Suicide RIA Novosti 30 Mar 2012 -- The former head of KGB Foreign Intelligence Leonid Shebarshin has died of an apparent suicide and left a suicide note, a spokesman for the Moscow Interior Ministry department said.
- U.S. State Dept. Downplays McFaul's Remarks on Phone Tapping RIA Novosti 30 Mar 2012 -- U.S. State Department spokesman Mark Toner said on Thursday that the U.S. Ambassador to Russia was simply 'raising a rhetorical question' when he claimed in his tweets that someone could be tapping his phone or spying on his emails.
- Moslehi: Iran has most powerful intelligence service in region IRNA 27 Mar 2012 -- Intelligence Minister Heidar Moslehi said on Tuesday that the Islamic Republic of Iran has the most powerful intelligence service in the region.
- Office of Naval Intelligence Celebrates 130th Anniversary NNS 23 Mar 2012 -- The men and women of the Office of Naval Intelligence (ONI) celebrated the 130th anniversary of the establishment of the command in a ceremony today at ONI's headquarters in Suitland, Md.
- US Justice Department Moves For New Data Retention Policies VOA 23 Mar 2012 -- The Obama administration has crafted new guidelines that will extend the amount of time the U.S. intelligence community can retain personal information about Americans.
- Falsely Accused Russian ‘Spy’ Leaves India RIA Novosti 22 Mar 2012 -- A Russian freelance photojournalist accused by Indian authorities of espionage departed the country after charges against her were dropped.
- U.S. Scientist Gets 13 Years In Espionage Case RFE/RL 21 Mar 2012 -- A former space scientist has been sentenced to 13 years in prison after confessing to attempting to sell classified information to Israel.
- Technical, Legal Experts Discuss Role of Unmanned Maritime Vessels NNS 21 Mar 2012 -- More than two dozen technical and legal experts met March 20 and 21 to examine and discuss legal issues regarding the use of unmanned systems in a maritime environment.
- Russia to Build Mini Drone for Vietnam RIA Novosti 15 Mar 2012 -- Russian warplane maker Irkut has signed a contract with Vietnam to build a small unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) for the Southeast Asian country, Izvestia daily reported on Thursday.
- Azerbaijan Arrests 22 For Allegedly Plotting U.S., Israeli Attacks RFE/RL 14 Mar 2012 -- Azerbaijan’s Ministry of National Security has announced the arrests of 22 people on suspicion of plotting attacks on the U.S. and Israeli embassies in Baku.
- Azerbaijan Detains 22 'Iran Spies' RIA Novosti 14 Mar 2012 -- Azerbaijan's National Security Ministry has detained 22 people accused of spying for Iran and other crimes, the ministry said on Wednesday.
- Boeing Phantom Eye Conducts Medium-speed Taxi Test Boeing 13 Mar 2012 -- Boeing today announced that the Phantom Eye high altitude long endurance (HALE) unmanned aerial vehicle has conducted its first medium-speed taxi test. The hydrogen-powered aircraft is designed for persistent intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance (ISR), and communications.
- GE Aviation Wins Position on Northrop Grumman Fire Scout GE Aviation 12 Mar 2012 -- GE Aviation has been awarded a contract by Northrop Grumman Corporation to provide a stores management system for the MQ-8B Fire Scout unmanned helicopter.
- Taiwan's intelligence services should work with other countries CNA 10 Mar 2012 -- Taiwan's intelligence networks must seek to work with neighboring countries on common interests, a goal that could be achieved through an information-sharing mechanism and a process that could help the country maximize its strategic value, the head of the National Security Bureau (NSB) said in a recent interview.
- Pakistan PM appoints new intelligence agency chief IRNA 10 Mar 2012 -- Pakistan Prime Minister Yusuf Raza Gilani has appointed Lt. General Zaheer-ul-Islam as the new chief of the country's major intelligence agency, the Prime Minister office said.
- USS Simpson and HSL-60 Use Fire Scout UAV NNS 08 Mar 2012 -- Guided-missile frigate USS Simpson (FFG 56) has the Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV), MQ-8B Fire Scout embarked for solo missions, a U.S. Navy first during a full deployment, March 7.
- Northrop Grumman Awarded $189 Million Contract by Defense Information Systems Agency to Strengthen Cybersecurity Across DoD, Intelligence Community Networks Northrop Grumman 06 Mar 2012 -- Northrop Grumman Corporation has been awarded a cybersecurity task order by the Defense Information Systems Agency (DISA) to strengthen cybersecurity protections across all Department of Defense (DoD) and Intelligence Community networks by implementing the Host Based Security System (HBSS) as part of the DoD Information Assurance and Computer Network Defense contract.
- Iran annuals CIA spy death sentence ISNA 05 Mar 2012 -- Iranian Supreme Court annulled Amir Mirza Hekmati's death sentence.
- General Dynamics Awarded Air Force Cyber Intelligence Contract General Dynamics 05 Mar 2012 -- General Dynamics Advanced Information Systems was awarded a contract to continue its cyber network defense, operations and exploitation support of the U.S. Air Force’s 35th Intelligence Squadron (35IS) Cyberspace Operations program Sensor Shadow.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|