March 2008 Intelligence News
- FSB chief sees threat from Islamic extremist groups RIA Novosti 31 Mar 2008 -- International terrorist organizations are attempting to shift their operations to Russia, the Federal Security Service (FSB) director said Monday.
- CIA Chief Says Al-Qaida Found Safe Haven in Pakistan VOA 30 Mar 2008 -- The head of the US Central Intelligence Agency says al-Qaida has established a safe haven in the tribal areas near the border between Pakistan and Afghanistan, and that it presents a "clear and present danger" to the West
- Female U-2 pilots say gender isn't a factor AFPN 27 Mar 2008 -- In its 50 years of flight, only six women pilots have been at the controls of the U-2 Dragon Lady.
- Belarus: U.S. Embassy Cuts Staff Amid Diplomatic Row RFE/RL 26 Mar 2008 -- The United States has agreed to cut its embassy staff in Minsk by almost half at the request of Belarusian authorities following the U.S. ambassador's forced departure from Minsk and accusations that the embassy was involved in spying activities.
- Northrop Grumman's Global Hawk Unmanned Aircraft Sets 33-Hour Flight Endurance Record Northrop Grumman 25 Mar 2008 -- Northrop Grumman Corporation's (NYSE:NOC) RQ-4 Global Hawk set an endurance record for a full-scale, operational unmanned aircraft on Saturday, March 22, 2008, when it completed a flight of 33.1 hours at altitudes up to 60,000 feet over Edwards Air Force Base, Calif.
- Belarus Says It Has Uncovered US Spy Network VOA 25 Mar 2008 -- Belarus's intelligence agency says it has uncovered a network of U.S. spies working in the ex-Soviet republic.
- Pakistan tests indigenously developed unmanned aerial vehicle: army IRNA 21 Mar 2008 -- Pakistan on Thursday successfully conducted a test flight of its indigenously developed Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV), the army said.
- Russia to launch another German spy satellite on March 25 RIA Novosti 20 Mar 2008 -- The launch of a Russian carrier rocket with a German SAR-Lupe satellite from the Plesetsk space center in northern Russia has been scheduled for March 25, the Khrunichev Center said on Thursday.
- Radar Sensor to be Incorporated Onto Northrop Grumman's MQ-8B Fire Scout Northrop Gruman 19 Mar 2008 -- Radar will be incorporated onto Northrop Grumman Corporation's (NYSE:NOC) MQ-8B Fire Scout Vertical Takeoff and Landing Tactical Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (VTUAV).
- Boeing Flight-Tests 2-Pound Imaging Radar Aboard ScanEagle Unmanned Aircraft Boeing 18 Mar 2008 -- The Boeing Company [NYSE: BA], in partnership with ImSAR and Insitu Inc., has successfully flight-tested NanoSAR, the world's smallest Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR), aboard the ScanEagle unmanned aircraft (UA).
- UAVs aid force protection efforts AFPN 17 Mar 2008 -- RQ-11 Raven unmanned aerial vehicles may be easily mistaken for an unorthodox version of a model airplane, but Airmen here use the UAV to secure the base and surrounding neighborhoods.
- Defense Department Takes Custody Of A High-Value Detainee 14 Mar 2008 -- The Department of Defense announced today that it has custody of Muhammad Rahim al-Afghani, a high-level member of al-Qaida captured in the War on Terror and placed him under control of the Joint Task Force at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.
- Defense Department Takes Custody of High-Value Al Qaeda Operative AFPS 14 Mar 2008 -- The Defense Department has taken custody of a "high-value" al Qaeda operative, Pentagon spokesman Bryan Whitman said today.
- Vandenberg Airmen launch Atlas V rocket AFPN 13 Mar 2008 -- Vandenberg Air Force Base Airmen successfully launched a Atlas V rocket carrying a National Reconnaissance Office payload from Space Launch Complex-3 at 3:01 a.m. Pacific Daily Time March 13 here.
- RC-135 surpasses 50,000 flying-hour mark AFPN 13 Mar 2008 -- A 763rd Expeditionary Reconnaissance Squadron RC-135 Rivet Joint surpassed the 50,000 flight-hour mark during a mission supporting Operation Enduring Freedom March 12.
- Pentagon Reviews Policy of Videotaping Interrogations VOA 13 Mar 2008 -- The Pentagon says it has so far found fewer than 50 videotapes of interrogations at its facilities worldwide, following a request for information that went out six weeks ago.
- Bush, Democrats Clash Again Over Surveillance Law VOA 13 Mar 2008 -- Conflict continues between President Bush and Democrats in the House of Representatives over changes to U.S. foreign intelligence surveillance law
- U-2 squadron continues to fly high AFPN 12 Mar 2008 -- Airmen of the 99th Expeditionary Reconnaissance Squadron here continue to add to the U-2's 51-year history by being the only U-2 squadron in the area of responsibility supporting operations Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom.
- Bush: House Version of Terrorist Surveillance Bill Would Undermine Security VOA 13 Mar 2008 -- President Bush says a terrorist surveillance bill now being considered in the U.S. House of Representatives is dangerous to national security, and he would veto it.
- First Flight of Heron Unmanned Aerial Vehicle over Alberta, Canada Israel Aerospace Industries 13 Mar 2008 -- MacDonald, Dettwiler and Associates Ltd. (TSX: MDA) a provider of essential information solutions, and Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI)'s Malat Division, announced today that that it has achieved a successful ‘First Flight in Canada’ milestone for the company’s Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) Service known as ‘Ardea.’ This is the first time that a Medium Altitude, Long Endurance UAV has flown in Canada for civil applications.
- Northrop Grumman's Broad Area Maritime Surveillance RQ-4N Global Hawk Exceeds Requirements Across the Spectrum 12 Mar 2008 -- Northrop Grumman Corporation (NYSE:NOC) stated today that its Broad Area Maritime Surveillance (BAMS) proposal, pre-contract activity and risk reduction efforts demonstrate an offer that clearly brings the best value solution to the U.S. Navy.
- Ex-CIA agent: German officials told of abductions in 2001 IRNA 12 Mar 2008 -- The former chief of CIA's European unit Taylor Drumheller contradicted claims by German officials who have repeatedly stated that they were not informed of CIA kidnappings of terror suspects until 2004, the weekly stern news magazine said in a report to be published on Thursday.
- 556th becomes newest UAS squadron AFPN 11 Mar 2008 -- The 556th Test and Evaluation Squadron became the Air Force's first operational test squadron for unmanned aircraft systems during a ceremony March 5 here.
- Land and Sea Tests Verify Effectiveness of Boeing Biological Detection System Boeing 10 Mar 2008 -- The U.S. Defense Threat Reduction Agency (DTRA) and Boeing [NYSE: BA] have demonstrated successfully that ScanEagle unmanned air vehicles modified to look for biological warfare agents can effectively intercept, detect and fly through simulated biological plumes or clouds to collect airborne agents.
- President Bush Vetoes Waterboarding Ban VOA 08 Mar 2008 -- President Bush has vetoed legislation that would have limited CIA interrogation techniques against suspected terrorists.
- NSA Certifies General Dynamics Sectéra® EdgeT 'Smartphone' for Classified Voice and Data Communication General Dynamics 06 Mar 2008 -- The National Security Agency (NSA) has certified the wireless Sectéra® EdgeT smartphone, a product of General Dynamics C4 Systems, for voice communications classified up to the Top Secret level and access to email and web-sites classified at the Secret level and below.
- Global Hawk marks 10-year anniversary AFPN 05 Mar 2008 -- A Global Hawk unmanned aerial vehicle landed after an eight-hour mission Feb. 28 that marked 10 years since base officials witnessed its first flight at Edwards Air Force Base.
- Former KGB chief dies in Moscow at 89 RIA Novosti 03 Mar 2008 -- A former head of the Soviet Union's Committee for State Security, the KGB, has died in Moscow at the age of 89, Russia's security service announced on Monday.
- More than 170 Cases of Aerial Espionage Committed against DPRK in February KCNA 01 Mar 2008 -- The U.S. imperialist aggressor warhawks and the south Korean forces have persisted in the aerial espionage against the DPRK, according to a military source.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|