Project 56 Kotlin class
Project 56-A Kotlin SAM class
Project 56-PLO Kotlin Mod class
The last Soviet "conventional" destroyers, armed only with guns and torpedoes, the layout of the Project 56 [Kotlin class] was similar to that of the earlier Skory class though with improved armament. According to Western sources, a total of 36 units of this class were initially planned, though in fact only 27 were completed between 1954 and 1961. Four of the hulls initially laid down to the Kotlin design were completed at Kildin missile destroyers, with an additional eight Krupnyy/Kanin missile destroyers built to a similar design.
Subsequently 11 or 12 units were modernized under Project 56-PLO [Kotlin Mod]. Bravy was completed as Project 56-K [Kotlin SAM] to serve as an experimental prototype to test the SA-N-1 before 7 or 8 other ships were modernized under Project 56-A [Kotlin SAM]. The SA-N-1 mount aft, in place of their original guns, made them the first Soviet Anti-Air Warfare oriented destroyers. One Kotlin SAM ship, the Spavedlivy, was transfered to Poland and renamed the Warszawa. The last of the Kotlin, SAM Kotlin and MOD Kildin destroyers were retired in the late 1980s.
There is an unusual level of confusion among sources as to the composition and chronology of this class. The usually quite reliable warships1.com lists only half of the ships that are well attested by other sources.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|